Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 6:53:34 PM EDT
let me know your thoughts on this model- colt pre-ban AR15....
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
...  I did not like mine. Mags were damn expensive and it beat the shit out of my shoulder.

... You wanna digest 7.62X39? Stick with a Kalashnikov.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
They are great if you get it for dirt cheap because of the chambering and then slap a pre-ban .223 upper on it.  Other than that, you're better off with a Kalash.  At least they work.

The big problem is the 7.62x39 requires a greater curve in the mag to work than the .223.  You can't get the curve right with the AR because of the magwell.  Some aftermarket mags work, but in the end it's not a great system.  I owned one, and I no longer do.  Now I just own AKs for 7.62x39.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I found the 7.62x39 AR15 to be a real hoot. So much so that I have 2 of them. I've found that I hardly ever even bother taking either of my AKs out any more. The ARs are so much more accurate and funner to shoot. As a pure defensive tool, the AK is a better choice simply because of it's greater reliability. But the ARs will more than hold their own for everything else.

Mags can be issue, but reliable hi-cap mags aren't hard to find and tempermental can usually be tweaked to work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
the really good ar15 7.62x39 mags are the usa frakenmags made from a ak mag with the ar15 feed tower welded on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...  I did not like mine. Mags were damn expensive and it beat the shit out of my shoulder.

... You wanna digest 7.62X39? Stick with a Kalashnikov.

Pussy!, dont touch an M1A.
GG
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Mine works good enough with USA frankenmags. It's accurate. It's my upper of choice on steel.
That said, I would not use it for a defensive weapon. It's just too far from the original AR design for that kind of comfort.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I seen a pre-ban 7.62x39 one at the Bigtown show last weekend.  It was in very good condition and came with three mags. $2,000!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
i traded my 7.62 upper and mags for an FAL and put a 223 upper on my preban receiver.....Best of both worlds.....Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top