Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 5:26:25 AM EDT
It's a bit pricey and WAY too heavy, but the concept seems cool.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42424,00.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What can this thing do that a fully equiped (grenade launcher included) can't do?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I mean a fully equiped M4.

Time for more coffee.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
"What can this thing do that a fully equiped (grenade launcher included) can't do?"

Rack up big profits for defense contractors?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I believe part of the reason for the 2005 deployment date is to allow time for weight reduction.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Rip the rifle off the thing and issue it as a "designated grenadier" weapon.  Give the guy some sort of sidearm, like a G36C.

That 20mm is very nice, and is hands above the M203 in range and accuracy.  That by itself might make a good addition to a squad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I mean a fully equiped M4.

Time for more coffee.

sgf, read the damn article.

I know you're probably from L.A. but read it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe part of the reason for the 2005 deployment date is to allow time for weight reduction.

Even if it weighs 6 ounces, its still too big to use.  I mean if you get a box with something light weight inside, but the box is 3'x3'x3', its still hard to maneuver.  I feel the same way about the OICW(which no civilians will be able to own!).  The gun although it has a short OAL, it looks to be about two feet tall, and very hard to maneuver around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I read an article about this a while ago, here is the authors comments, he brings up some good points about some serious problems.

some private opinions
The OICW, to be effective, relies upon computerized fire control module. Both KE and HE modules could be fired with iron sights, but this greatly reduces the overall effectivness of the system, so as soon as the batteries goes off, or the computer/optics/laser get any damage, you'd better throw the Fire Control module away... But it costs more than half of the whole system price, and that's some 5000 dollars (probably, much more), so guess what the soldier should do when the Fire Control module fails...
Another point is that 20mm programmable ammunition is no way the cheap round.
Third, the whole system is bulky and cost a small fortune...

Resume: In my opinion, the OICW is a weapon for so called "peace-keeping" operatrions - low intensivity conflicts, when US troops had always good supplies (of batteries and spare parts) and carry the weapons for limited time (forgot about weeks-long raids beyond enemy lines). It also costs too much, and now i'm doubtful about the plans to issue the OICW to every 4 soldiers in every Infantry squad of the US Army, USMC etc (the OICW is intended to replace M16/M203 combos and M249 SAWs, as well as some M16s or M4s).
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What can this thing do that a fully equiped (grenade launcher included) can't do?

You can program the grenades to explode at any distance you program. AND you get that distance data from the rangefinder. That is freakin' cool.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I sure wouldn't want to carry one, I would prefer the M-16/M203 combo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't recall if this weapon platform is shielded from HERF or not.

What's to keep Omar or Woo Fung Doo from popping off a High Energy Radio burst and disabling all these wondeful computers? I'm guessing the OICW is harden somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't recall if this weapon platform is shielded from HERF or not.

What's to keep Omar or Woo Fung Doo from popping off a High Energy Radio burst and disabling all these wondeful computers? I'm guessing the OICW is harden somewhat.

Airstrikes have destroyed Omar's ability to set of HERF bursts PRIOR to soldiers being on the ground.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Those new fangled self-loading guns will never work, are to complicated and I can't understand how they work.  I'll stick to my bolt action!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Does that thing use Bunny Batteries?  I realize the rifle is only a paltry $30,000.00 each but I bet you they get you with the batteries....

heh
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
This POS has been beat to death at AR15.com - just search some of the old posts, especially at the old site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top