Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 6:29:40 PM EDT
DPMS is offering a 7.62x39 model and I am wondering what are the isses with this caliber and its use in an AR?  Any thoughts??
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Magazines that feed are a REAL problem.  The DPMS barrel is .310, most hunting ammo is .308, import is .310.  I think it would do for hunting, but you can't rip off 30 rounds just for fun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My Colt is in 7.62 and I have a problem if I load more than 6 rounds in the mag. The tapper on the round  causes the tip of the bullet to jam inbetween the two feed ramps. If I put 5 or less cartridges I won't have the FTF problem.

If you want 7.62x 39 get an AK or SKS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]

If you want 7.62x 39 get an AK or SKS.

Heartily second that motion. Lots of AKs out there and plenty of accessories.

Edited to add: From what I hear(no personal experience) the hybrid 30rd mags from USA Mags(cough, gag, sputter) are supposed to be the best generally available. CDNN has them; part no. EXC-133 if I remember correctly. I think that they are out of stock now. I've been trying to find some for a friend in same circumtances. If you find some anywhere email me please.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually drjarhead I might have a couple at the shop.  I'll keep you in mind when I'm looking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What they said....mags and more mags.

I have a pre-ban Colt 7.62 x 39 and after a lot of inconsistencies with loading, jamming, etc., I put an M4 5.56 upper on it and am now as happy as a lark.

The 7.62 upper is now in the back of the safe for playing... would never use it for self-defense.

Now, go get a 5.56 and an AK.   :-)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Magazines that feed are a REAL problem.  The DPMS barrel is .310, most hunting ammo is .308, import is .310.  I think it would do for hunting, but you can't rip off 30 rounds just for fun.

One with USA mags can rip off 30 rounds , no problem. USA mags in the AR 7.62x39 are the only USA mags I have seen work. Who gives on bore dia. Colt is .308 and works no problem with the .31.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top