Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 7:53:48 PM EDT
I'd like to know in everybody's opinion, which rifle that is readily available to the public is more reliable in operation, accuracy, and deadly force.

From what I've seen that is a good discription of the AR, but I've heard a few that say it's the AK.  I have another buddy that says it would be H&K (I forget which one).

If this country were under attack and the life of yourself and family was at stake, which gun would you run out the door with when the next target is your neighborhood?

Sorry for the glum and sick way of thinking, but that's the reason we want military style rifles isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The easy answer:   A loaded one!

Any of the ones you mentioned would be very effective. It's a matter of preference in the end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, any and all that are loaded you be etheir slung or carried if we fell under seige.  Even a .22 is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Any .22 AUTO would be a better choice than any caliber bolt action, too.  :-) Until nightfall, I am only going as far as the nearest manhole cover (above ground, anyway.) You guys can HAVE all that slinking around, getting shot at from all angles (and elevations.) Once it's dark, make my way from the edge of town to the creek, dig up the inflatable, and take it relatively easy on the way to Louisiana, at night. The trip will take about a month, so most of the bad things will just pass me by, to include the cold weather, arranging for warm-enough clothing, shelter, fuel, etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If the country were under attack, it wouldn't really matter if you had the coolest weapon available to the public.  You'd only need a weapon capable of killing the first heavily armed soldier you encountered because you'd take his military-grade armaments with you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any .22 AUTO would be a better choice than any caliber bolt action, too.  :-) Until nightfall, I am only going as far as the nearest manhole cover (above ground, anyway.) You guys can HAVE all that slinking around, getting shot at from all angles (and elevations.) Once it's dark, make my way from the edge of town to the creek, dig up the inflatable, and take it relatively easy on the way to Louisiana, at night. The trip will take about a month, so most of the bad things will just pass me by, to include the cold weather, arranging for warm-enough clothing, shelter, fuel, etc.

John, is that you?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Any reliable military style and caliber will work, until you can get the weapons the enemy "provides".  

Here in the US, I favor the .308 or the .223 (and have both).  If I have to cary the gun and a bunch of ammo, I want the .223.  If I don't have to hump it, I'll take my Garand in .308.  

If I were poorer, I'd take an AK or SKS and feel well armed. These are not preciion sniper weapons, mind you, but the target is plenty large.

If I were well and truly broke, I'd take a 6.5mm Swede Mauser, or even a Mosin Nagant Carbine. These can be astoundingly accurate, for under $100.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys!

The main reason I ask is that I'd like to be prepared.  But I don't want to go broke doing it (no $2500 .50 bmg):( .  I had my eye on an AK. When I finally saw one I liked (style/finish) I had the local shop order one just like it.  Turned out to be a $350 piece of junk.  I didn't buy it because the stock was about to fall off and when you pull the bolt back and let go it wouldn't go all the way foreward (he tried to tell me AK's have a last round hold).  Ar's feel better in my hands anyway, so I'm getting one.  I've got $600 saved for it, the rest is going on plastic.

I just wanted to see if there was a better choice (for me). I'm still going AR.

Why can't I find a shop that has one in stock? All I want is the A2 20" or 16" Bushy, that souldn't be too hard to find.  Is there one online for cheaper than $779 (price here in town if they had one).
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the AR15. You'll be glad you did. Accurate, and reliable if you follow a few basic rules.

Use good mags.

Use good ammo.

Buy a quality rifle.

I'd go Bushmaster. In my opinion the best rifle for the money. Really, $779 doesn't sound bad if you can find one in town. If not shop around and see if there are any gun stores in your town who will do a transfer for a reasonable price and buy one online.

Sure you could buy a cheaper rifle, but many of those don't come with chrome lines barrels. A must for an AR15 if you ask me.

Anyway, good luck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with an AR carbine, with very rugged optics that also allow for the use of the irons.

Very mobile, accurate, ammo readily available, and as another post suggested, your first kill would allow for whatever you could salvage/carry off.

Then again, if the SHTF for real, I'd do my best to go "underground" and fire only as a last resort. I wouldn't be kidding myself in to believing that I alone would want to take on any formally trained miltary squad.

Melt in to the shadows, disappear, kill only to survive. He who fights and runs away, in these times, will get hunted down and shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do whatever I needed to do to defend my country, but knowing your enemies abilities greatly determines a course of action. In the 21st century that would most likely include "tools" that would have my ass in a grave unless EXTREME caution was used.

Brains are your best weapon, the gun comes next. Guerrilla tactics and unfailing awareness 24/7 + that AR carbine would be my route.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top