Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 9:57:13 PM EDT
I have a Mossburg 590A1 with ghost ring sights and a speed feed stock and mag light. I want to upgrade it a little bit buy earthier getting a new pistol grip stock or getting a folding stock (The ones that fold on the top.)

I also thinking of getting a sidesaddle for it. If anyone has any suggestions it would help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words, Vang Comp!

www.vangcomp.com

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Two words, Vang Comp!

www.vangcomp.com

For $220+ 15S&H Thats a hell of a lot of money. Does it work that well?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it does.

First of all, Hans does quality work. He has a patent on the barrel back-boring, the shotgun will pattern tighter than any other method of choking, and his shotguns are used by many, many agencies.

You will be happier with your shotgun if he does the work compared to your buying bolt-on parts out of catalogs and doing it yourself. This is the route I would recommend to my friends.

I've got an 870 I bought from him that's first of all a $300 Remington Express, I paid about $800 but then how would I ever get a barrel like that, or have ghost ring sights installed that wouldn't shoot off after a hundred rounds, plus side saddle, extended mag, high visibility follower, extended safety button, etc. Sure, those parts may add up to less than $500 but gunsmithing charges for barrel work and sight installation aren't cheap either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I'll get the Vang Comp done when I'm at boot camp! I might also get the surefire flashlight on it also.

Now the part I'm having problems with is earthier to get the top folding stock or get one of the pistol grip feed speed stocks? I have see the top folder for $69.95 . But have not found any pistol grip speed feed ones. What would you guys get?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The top-folder may interfere with the side-saddle. It did on my 870.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the SpeedFeed stock set. I do not like how the stock mounts to the receiver on the Rem 870.  The SF stock does not have a recessed protrusion that goes into the hollow cavity at the end of the receiver.  You can tighten the mounting bolt all you want but with sufficient force you can still will be able to rotate the stock relative to the receiver so they don’t line up correctly.  I solved the problem with Epoxy.

I also had a ATI top-folder. The top folder did not have the mounting problem, as with the SF even so, I preferred the SF stock.  The butt-plate on the top-folders are quite uncomfortable.

I mentioned that the top-folder may interfere with your side-saddle......the ATI composite top-folders have a provision to mount a 6-rnd saddle to the folder.

Here is my 870 with SF stock set. It originally was a plane old parkerized Express. I added the 20" Rem slug barrel, SF stock/forearm, ATI mag extension, 30,000 candlepower TACM III tac-light (cheaper than sure-fire), heat shield, side-saddle, etc.
I am still contemplating installing the Surefire 870 forearm.

I would avoid the ATI mag extensions, the Choate brand are better.  The Wilson Combat (Scattergun Tech.) are probably the best and they have a built in sling loop.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Boomholzer:

Where did you get your Speed feed at? I have been looking all over and cant find any
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Delta Force has all the SF stocks, Scattergun Tech stuff, Tac-Star, Surefire forearm, etc.
1-870-862-4984

CTD had the ATI stocks and some speedfeed stuff.
Here ya go!  CTD Catalog Item #:  46924 $68.37

www.cheaperthandirt.com

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=46924&mscssid=EDFPR2UPX3F59LFK9QP4FB2A898E97K6
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
with pistol grips and mossbergs, reaching the safety is impossible with your hand around the grip. that's why i sold my folding stock.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have two words.

punkatomic's right (about Vang Comp)
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
with pistol grips and mossbergs, reaching the safety is impossible with your hand around the grip. that's why i sold my folding stock.

But it cut's a hell of a lot down on the recoil! I found that out on the day I took 200rds of 00 buckshot to the range to pop them off (The cheap Sellier & Bellot stuff.)

Well I got through about 100rds and my shoulder started to hurt. Then I had a local SWAT officer come up and let me shoot his 590A1 with the speed feed pistol grip well I shot about 25rds with it and loved it.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut's down on recoil? I haven't used a pistol grip but from what I've read on boards are against them. Lots of complaints they hurt your hand and make tatical handling worse. I have an 870 I had Vang-Comped and I can say it really helped with recoil and pattern.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]
i have a tac grip on my 870 it does hurt the hand after a few rounds.rite in the web of you hand
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Whether the pistol grip is a help or a pain in the wrist depends on the design of the grip.

Why would you want a folding stock on a 12 gauge? ( or I should ask- have you ever shot a 12 gauge with a folding stock?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top