Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 8:56:34 PM EDT

I just got back from the range after trying out my new (May 1945 receiver & barrel) M1!

I was shooting 1952 Twin City M2 ball and getting 4-5 inch groups. Not bad I thought, for 50 year old ammo in a 57 year old rifle.

I decided to spend some cash and try out some Federal Gold Medal Match. You know... Buy her the lobster dinner and see if she puts out.

Did she ever!!!

This is the first 5 shots with the Federal (100 yards from the bench - issue sights):

Damn I love this rifle! Now all I gotta do is participate in a match, and buy more from the CMP.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S.
If you are reading this Chuck... Sorry I didn't heed your advice and buy a CMP first. I promise to remedy that situation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta be Shi**ing me! You post pics of the target but not the rifle!?! I want to see what $1000.00+ worth of service grade M-1 gets a guy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You gotta be Shi**ing me! You post pics of the target but not the rifle!?! I want to see what $1000.00+ worth of service grade M-1 gets a guy.

That was my thought too!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Damn! Problem is I couldn't afford the digital camera after buying the rifle!

The rifle isn't all pimped out with ultra glossy wood or anything. In fact it has a rather pedestrian 60's era rebuild stock. a few handling dings, but nice and tight with a nice dark original finish. the handguards don't match, but are gorgeous. The metal is excellent with only minor wear where it should be (op-rod track etc.) The barrel is a Springfield manufactured in May of 1945 as was the receiver. Whether it is the original barrel who knows.

I wanted a 100% USGI rifle in excellent condition that would shoot. I got it in spades.
I couldn't be happier.

Now that I have my shooter, I plan on going through the CMP to try and get that collectible 1942 Springfield that went ashore with the Big Red One in Africa, Italy, and Normandy.

I promise to get some pictures scanned soon!

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I hope you cleaned it real good. ICBW, but I think that ammo is corrosive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There should be a barrel date in the area where the barrel joins the receiver and under the op-rod.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice! I hope you cleaned it real good. ICBW, but I think that ammo is corrosive.

Twin City '52 is non-corrosive. Check out this link
www.jouster.com/Bulletin/primers.htm

Quoted:
There should be a barrel date in the area where the barrel joins the receiver and under the op-rod.

The barrel is an SA 5 45 which is the same month and year as my receiver.

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Type: .30-’06 Ball
Lot Number: 19362
Date: December 1950
First SAFE Headstamp: TW 51

I stand corrected. Thanks.

My understanding is that barrel production was slightly ahead of receiver production by a few months. If the date on the barrel and receiver is the same that would be an exception and not the general rule.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:My understanding is that barrel production was slightly ahead of receiver production by a few months. If the date on the barrel and receiver is the same that would be an exception and not the general rule.

Yeah... That was my understanding too. That's why I leave the possibility that the barrel was added when it was rebuilt in '66. It was my understanding that they had a lot of surplus WWII barrels that they used during refurb. Who knows. It sure shoots straight!

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Finally, here are some pics...

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top