Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 5:26:52 PM EDT
Well, I just had a negligent discharge with my 1911. I can't believe that I was so careless.
But I got off lucky. All I destroyed was my computer moniter ($799). Thank god that I was alone in my computer room, my computer faces away from the living room, and the case was made of polycarobnate, so the round never left the moniter case.
I was VERY LUCKY. I have found bits of the jacket spread around my room.
The reason that I'm putting this here is because I feel that ND's should be discussed when they happen.
It scared the living crap out of me. Thank God that my daughter and wife were in the living room.
Time to sit and think about my stupidity for awhile.
This is a situation that EVERYONE MUST THINK ABOUT CONTINUOUSLY.

And yes I'm stupid for allowing the ND to happen.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As you already know, "Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy!"

That must have been one BAD monitor!!

Seriously, as long as no one was injured and there are no legal repercussions, the rest is just money.  It actually was a very cheap reminder.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
tell us what happened...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad no one was hurt.  It happens to the best of us...it will probably make you more aware in the future of how you handle your firearms.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A computer moniter is a small price to pay when you consider no one was hurt.  I agree with you that all ND's should be discussed so that we are not negligent of safety procedures because they seem routine and it is possible for anyone to overlook something and have an accident.

p.s. you're not stupid if you learn from it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What happend was I inserted a LOADED mag into the 1911, chambered a round, and started to read one of the topics here on AR15.com. Then I started to think if the range was having a match tomorrow. I then dropped the mag out of the 1911, and placed my finger on the trigger, not remembering that I chambered a round. Then I pulled the trigger.A flash, smoking hole in my moniter, ringing ears, acrid smell of gunsmoke.
It took me about 10 seconds to realise what happened, as I stared at my moniter. Then my wife walked in and asked me what happened. Then she realised that my moniter had a hole in it, and was smoking. It took me a few minuets to realise that I needed to unplug the moniter, or it might start a fire (wouldn't want that). She asked if there was a hole in the wall, and I said that I don't think so, but I went outside just to make sure that I didn't blow a hole in the wall.
I'm still shaken up about it. I still can't believe that I was so stupid and careless.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my one and only (so far) ND while I was teaching a SMG class.  Student handed me a very dirty MP5 so I could demo some point.  I cleared it while I was talking and didn't feel the base of a cartridge he had gotten stuck in the chamber.  Dropped the bolt, aimed in a safe direction and kaPOW!.  Two students literally fell over laughing at my expression.  Recess!

A more experienced instructor saw my obvious dismay and said "There are two types of shooters. Those who have had NDs and those that are gonna have one".

I know I'm gonna have another and act accordingly every time I handle a gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad shot a hole through the downstairs ceiling straight into the upstairs fridge with a Corbon .45 200GR JHP.

Alex
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Be more careful, but keep the .45 and the hobby.Accidents happen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Bulletproof monitor cases.  Wow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to hear no one was injured.

I'm sure you now know, you have to always stay on top of what your doing.

When I fiddle with my guns, I never ever have ammo close by.  If the gun leaves my sight or my hands I aways check.

The closest I got to a ND was with my Dan Wesson 357.

I had it loaded for a while and then I decided to unload it for some reason.  Probably had some nephews come by of something like that.
Any ways, After a few weeks I wanted to practice pulling the trigger and shooting at bad guys on the TV so I took it out.  I remembered I unloaded it but decided to check anyways.  Low and behold there was one round that I forgot to pull out.  I have no idea how that happened but it did.  I unloaded it and wondered what could have happend if I didn't check.

Better safe than sorry.

Be safe

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
this is why checking the chamber is the most important part of handling a gun safely.  even though i feel/look stupid and get fingerprints on the slide, etc. etc. even when i've just checked it five minutes before.  plus i generally do not dry fire without the knowledge that a live round may have "magically" worked its way around my checks.  meaning, i still keep it away from people, property, etc.  sorry to hear that you goofed, but better this than the many alternatives! be safe out there people...
oh, and no your not stupid, just careless and all it takes with firearms is one split second of indecision. hopefully its a lesson learned!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Been a dumb a$$ myself, 7.62 hole in the living room floor and the AC duct that was under it.......You can never be to careful
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like way too many distractions going on!

Don't multi-task with firearms, ammo, and computers again!

It's that damn internet!!
(That's what my wife is always saying.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad to hear no one was injured. But I must say I am considerably impressed. After blowing a hole in your monitor you managed to get online, find your way to AR15.com, and post this thread! Man, there is no way I could do all that without a monitor to look at.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had one too.  I was loading some 7BR for my XP-100 and I wanted to check the seating depth.  So, like an idiot, I took a freshly loaded cartridge, and chambered it!  I remember thinking "this is stupid, but I should be OK".  As I lifted the bolt the sear slipped (I was nowhere NEAR the trigger) and BANG!  I had a hole through the wall, into the garage, and out of the garage.  Thankfully the 130gr HPBT intersected an 8 x 8 roof beam.  The only thing I did right was have it pointed in a (relatively) safe direction.  Turns out the trigger was out of adjustment.  I'd never opened the bolt on a live round before.  

Idiot, idiot, idiot.  That is a lesson I will never forget.

And I ended up readjusting the trigger.  BTW, my ears rang for the next 5 days.  How are yours?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the reinforcement. I carry a gun daily and you get to the point that when you are not thinking about safety specifically, something is going to happen. My hat is off to you for posting. It made me think safety in my daily routine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
The rush of realizing what almost just happened is like going over the top of a roller-coaster! Once as I got ready for the range I cranked open the bolt of my M44 carbine to check if corrosive ammo had effected the bore and *boink* out pops a live one! I got a little dizzy, cause I sometimes snapped the rifle at spots on the wall. KABBOOOOOM!! (not)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What happend was I inserted a LOADED mag into the 1911, chambered a round, and started to read one of the topics here on AR15.com. Then I started to think if the range was having a match tomorrow. I then dropped the mag out of the 1911, and placed my finger on the trigger, not remembering that I chambered a round. Then I pulled the trigger.A flash, smoking hole in my moniter, ringing ears, acrid smell of gunsmoke.
It took me about 10 seconds to realise what happened, as I stared at my moniter. Then my wife walked in and asked me what happened. Then she realised that my moniter had a hole in it, and was smoking. It took me a few minuets to realise that I needed to unplug the moniter, or it might start a fire (wouldn't want that). She asked if there was a hole in the wall, and I said that I don't think so, but I went outside just to make sure that I didn't blow a hole in the wall.
I'm still shaken up about it. I still can't believe that I was so stupid and careless.

I'm sure I speak for most, if not all of us in lauding you for your candor and maturity in telling us about your accident.  You've actually inspired a bit of bravery in me, and as such I will tell you about MY OWN act of sheer stupidity and carelessness (any incoming flames are well deserved, so don't hold back).  I had just finished a day at the range with one of my ARs and came home to clean it.  Cleaning complete, and it's just me and my 9-year-old step-son at home. (continued)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I had had problems with one of my mags that day, so it was at this time that I was function-testing and trouble-shooting with this one mag, which was loaded for the purpose of replicating the seating problem I had earlier that day.  Anyway, while function tested I had chambered a round to complete my test.   As I ejected the magazine my boy had come into the room to ask me a question and an extended conversation had begun.  Approx. twenty minutes go by before our conversation ends and he goes back into his room to play on the computer.  Well, the lazy moron that I was that day, I took for granted that I must have ejected the chambered round immediately after I ejected the magazine.  Unfortunately, I was about to find out in no uncertain terms that this was not the case.  Thinking I had ejected the round, I was about to begin my weapon/action function test by pulling the trigger, charging, checking sear/disconnect engagement, etc., and repeating three times, as I always do before I stow the weapon.  I pull the trigger and... CRACK!!!  The weapon fires, not quite the function test I was attempting.  Tragedy was averted by the fact that I at least had the good sense to obey the laser rule.  As I was pulling the trigger, I was sitting on the couch and aiming out the living room window into a grassy hill just outside the house.  As it was the middle of the summer, the window was up and the round went through the screen.  The mini blinds were down and, amazingly, the round passed right in between two of the slats...talk about shit luck for a dumbass- no broken glass, AND no need to get replacement blinds.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I could see that kind of thing happening to me, timh. I don't even have any guns yet and I already decided to never play with them while watching TV or the computer or something. I usually tend to fiddle with things while I watch TV, and I believe that it's just asking for trouble to mess with a firearm while distracted like that. Especially since I live in an apartment with other apartements in almost every direction (although some of the walls are concrete instead of the usual wood and drywall).
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]
...and a nice, neat .223 inch hole in the window screen!  Don't feel too bad, at least you were following the most important rule of them all.  You couldn't have picked a safer direction to aim!

I haven't had an ND, yet (knock on wood) but whenever I pick up my 1911, I always do a press-check to look in the chamber.  That's one reason it pays not to have a full-length guide rod, because they make chamber checks more bothersome and you're less likely to do them religiously, every time you pick up the weapon.  Especially when I want to do some dry-firing, I make sure it's unloaded.  I'm paranoid as hell whenever there's ammo near my pistol.

Good luck to everyone, and be safe!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
$799?  What kind of monitor was it?  I can get a really nice 21 inch monitor for that!

www.pricewatch.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had three AD's. I get distracted easily, but now I am more obsessive compulsive and check the chamber a coupple times before I ever pull a trigger.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't feel bad... There are two kinds of people, those who have had an ND and those who will.
I shot a nice print when I was 22... A friend shot his light switch, and one friend shot his dishwasher (?).
I've been to classes with instructors who are renowned and ND's came up and they admited their's.
Once time is forgivable... After that, there is no excuse.

I had gotten a new pistol and was testing it's trigger, then I decided to compare it to my PDW... I, no shit, drew my pdw and pulled the trigger. BAM. I felt like a dumbass, which I was.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had an ND and now I am really committed not to have another one. It happened a few years ago. I had gotten a new SA compact and I was at my dad's house. I put in a mag and chambered a round getting ready to go. My dad told me to try the trigger on his 1911 so I did.  I then picked up mine to compare. BANG! I was aiming at a wall and the .45 Hydrashock was caught by the brick on the outside of the house. I was a few inches from shooting through the window and probably someone elses house.

Now when I dry fire with a snap cap I chamber it and fire. If I want to recock to fire again I always check the chamber to make sure it is still a snap cap in there. I have a soft chair on my office that I aim at when dry firing just in case the snap cap that I just saw in the chamber turns into a live round after it goes into battery. I always aim at the chair while chambering a live round just in case my Kimber slam fires. I figured if I shoot the chair it will be the least damage possible.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Forgot to mention that after that ND I left the Springfield at my dad's for 2 weeks. I didn't want to have anything to do with guns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
That must have been one tough-a$$ monitor to suck up a .45 round and not let it out the other side. Maybe the manufacturer would like it as a testimonial of their quality.
Clear,crisp image and tough enough to stop a bullet!

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I pulled the trigger.A flash, smoking hole in my moniter, ringing ears, acrid smell of gunsmoke.

Change your screen name to "Elvis"
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#29]
That sucks big time!... one thing about electronics though... if you let the smoke out of them they die... its kind of a joke... im not saying there is smoke in anything electronic but if smoke comes out of it then its 99.9% of the time broken :D
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#30]
No ND's for me yet.  It's instinctual for me to check the chamber by visually looking at the empty chamber when I first pick up a gun.  I even check it while I'm handling it and I've already checked when I first picked it up.  If there is one thing to be paranoid about safety is it!

All it takes is one moment of absent mindedness....

Thanks for posting your story. It helped to remind me to be extra cautious... although my first reaction was "there must have been a picture of Bill Clinton on his screen".

Be safe out there guys!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]

There are two kinds of people, those who have had an ND and those who will.

That's a neat saying, but it is not true.  At this risk of sounding like a high and mighty bastard, I have been playing with guns for 27 years, have no NDs, and never will have one.  I expect the same commitment from other firearms owners.  Shit happens.  Your job is to ensure it doesn't happen to you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I im pretty sure tom gresham  that said

"if you have never experienced an (AD) you probubly haven't been around firearms enough"

the trick is to learn  somthing from the experience and to to make sure it never happens again.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
So which post on AR15.com pissed you off enough to shoot the monitor?

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There are two kinds of people, those who have had an ND and those who will.

That's a neat saying, but it is not true.  At this risk of sounding like a high and mighty bastard, I have been playing with guns for 27 years, have no NDs, and never will have one.  I expect the same commitment from other firearms owners.  Shit happens.  Your job is to ensure it doesn't happen to you.

Hmmmm...

Glad to know how ya feel 'bout this issue...

The folks what are scariest to me when handling firearms are them what never had theirs yet... and I've known several with similar claims as the above... none of which means a rat's arse to me... far as I'm concerned... the longer... the scarier... as has been pointed out, if ya mess with 'um long enough it WILL happen...

OCTJMO... ICBW...

db

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#35]
The moniter was an Apple 17 inch. Polycarbonate case. The round was a 185 grn Federal Hydrashok.
Distance from muzzle to moniter was less than 2 feet.

I'm posting from my wife's iMac.
I'm still amazed that the round didn't go through the monitor.

Thanks for sharing your stories about your ND's.
When my wife gets back from getting her nails done, I'm heading out to the range to shoot at APPROVED targets. Maybe I'll take the moniter and finish shooting it up.

And my ears are fine now. Been working around jets for 10 years, so that one shot wasn't much (in the long run). I'm already hard of hearing (just ask my wife!!)

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
It's not quite true that no one was injured - I'm sure it took a few years of hearing from you.

I was shooting alone at the range once, forgot my earplugs after changing targets. Fired a Para P-12 (with that short barrel) under a tin shed roof. I didn't hear the classic KER-BLam you normally associate with a gunshot. What I heard was KAHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

It was 10 minutes before the hiss faded into ringing, and another 10 minutes before that faded. Even then, (with earplugs and muffs both)  - each subsequent shot would ring just a little. Tink. Tink. Tink.

My only ND was really freaky. I was at the range. Had just put one of them little pullback bolt releases on my 10/22. Pointed downrange, but about 45 degrees up. Pulled the bolt back, my finger slipped off the charging handle, and as I grabbed the rifle, my finger landed across the saftey, punched it in, and landed on the trigger. Crack. Extremely disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
maybe if he were still able to look at a babe of the day post his fingers wouldn't have been on his gun and this wouldn't have happened..or something.  i'm kidding of course.  one time i pulled the trigger on a shotgun to see if the safety was on...stupid stupid stupid.  it was aimed in the air and of course went off.  i don't keep any ammo near my guns exept my p89 which has a loaded mag in it no round chambered.
i check things like 3 times just to be sure.  i get nervous when i'm around other people handling guns and constantly watch the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
had my first and only nd when I was 10. after replacing my parents lamp and getting my assed kick good, I guarentee that will not happen ever again. I am now a ferverant chamber checker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top