Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/3/2002 11:59:34 PM EDT
Is there more to the M4 profile barrel than the "Cool Factor"? Are there any advantages besides it looks really neat? I have an E.A. preban with a 20" Hbar and I am thinking of turning it into a carbine with collapsible stock or waiting and purchasing a ZM upper and folding stock when funds become available. I'm tempted to say "screw it" and just purchase a normal A2 or A3 carbine upper and spend the extra money on bullets or optics. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:53:56 AM EDT
I can assure you that the SF units currently using the M4 couldn't care less whether their weapon was "cool" or not. The AR15/M16 has just evolved to meet current requirements. Kind of like the CAR trend of a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:40:16 AM EDT
The only reason for the cut in the barrel is to mount the old M203.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:11:22 AM EDT
The M4 barrel has a thinner profile under the handhuards as compared to an HBar which makes it a little lighter than the HBar
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:23:30 AM EDT
The military chose the M4 barrel profile for a reason. It appears that this may change with newer SOPMOD requirements. And, there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting a weapon similar to the M4 for your personal collection. However, I am not a big fan of the barrel profile for a private rifle, because the vast majority of us will never get a grenade launcher, and I hate the lightweight barrels, even on a carbine. Oh, and the 1/7 twist sucks for the ammo that most of us can actually get our hands on. That's just my personal opinion. I use the Colt DC6721 upper (16" HBAR, 1/9 twist, M4 receiver).
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:24:31 AM EDT
Light wt is my reason.
Now I wantto get a couple of BMs new lightwt barrels to put some uppers together.
Should be even better.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:38:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
However, I am not a big fan of the barrel profile for a private rifle, because the vast majority of us will never get a grenade launcher, and I hate the lightweight barrels, even on a carbine. Oh, and the 1/7 twist sucks for the ammo that most of us can actually get our hands on. That's just my personal opinion. I use the Colt DC6721 upper (16" HBAR, 1/9 twist, M4 receiver).

Well, if you carry your rifle for long distances in the field, then a fewer ounces could make a difference. On the other hand, if you carry your rifle from your car to the shooting bench, then it wouldn't be a problem. But also for LW barrel will heat up faster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:10:28 AM EDT

LW barrel will heat up faster.

Which also means it cools down faster.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2002 1:41:20 PM EDT by SMGLee]
Man, it looks cool. I been running a M4 since 1989, I don't want else to get. I personally like it for the looks, lightweight or the profile cut does nothing for me. I mainly purchase the Bushmaster M4 barrles, it is set a 1:9 twist, which i like better then the colt barrel.

M4 just look hellacool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:22:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spider:
I can assure you that the SF units currently using the M4 couldn't care less whether their weapon was "cool" or not. The AR15/M16 has just evolved to meet current requirements. Kind of like the CAR trend of a few years back.

Yes we do like the kewl factor too!
But really, the lt weight and compactness of the M4 is a big advantage. It is so much easier to jump with the M4 exposed than it was with the M16A2.
My SF unit is Guard so I doubt we will be getting the newer HBAR M4's anytime soon, but we did finally get RAS!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:50:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:11:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SMGLee:
Man, it looks cool. I been running a M4 since 1989, I don't want else to get. I personally like it for the looks, lightweight or the profile cut does nothing for me. I mainly purchase the Bushmaster M4 barrles, it is set a 1:9 twist, which i like better then the colt barrel.

M4 just look hellacool.

Dude, love the Cartman referrence. Anyone who doesn't like the M4 profile barrel is Hellalame.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:29:21 PM EDT
hehehehe, big south park fan.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:43:07 PM EDT
I have a both a pre ban M4 and a 14.5 inch Lt. weight. I love the look of the M4 but would rather pack and use the Lt. weight. It balances better and is not as nose heavy. I have not put them on a scale to see what the difference in weight is but I would gess that the M4 is at least a pound heavier.
Top Top