Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/3/2002 6:52:36 PM EDT
Alright guys I am interested in the 9mm conversion.

Are there any merits for this conversion?

Is it easy to do?

Who is the best manufacturer for the conversion and where should I procure parts?

Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

Max
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:02:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:11:00 PM EDT
I did it for awhile.

Got a brand new pre-ban Colt 9mm upper with B/C/CH, 1 piece mag block and 9mm hammer from www.jtdistributing.com. It was a fun toy but I rarely shot it and those damn Colt 32 round mags are $80-$120 each (I only buy the best!) So I ended up selling all the 9mm stuff.

If you really want to do it right... get yourself a small pivot pin lower (factory push pin is ideal). Then pop in the 9mm hammer (a 9mm hammer will work with 9mm and .223, but a .223 hammer will not work with 9mm). That way you can quickly swap uppers. Push in the mag block and tighten it with a hex key and you can go from .223 to 9mm in about a minute.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:14:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:13:24 AM EDT
Thanks for the input gents. I suddenly now feel the urge for a 9mm Oly upper and sten mags.

This is why I love the AR15 there are so many options for this rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:28:29 AM EDT
I bought a Colt 9mm upper a few months ago...and enjoy shooting it tremendously. I boughy a couple of 30 round South African mags from CDNN and they work like a charm. Now I'm ordering 9mm ammo from Ammoman constantly...
He should be selling the uppers...he'd make a mint on ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:19:54 AM EDT
btdrygulch

Would you suggest I do the Colt in lieu of the Oly conversion?

What exactly do I have to do to modify mags?

MAx
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:32:13 PM EDT
OLY ARMS is definetly the more economical route if you want MO.

I have an M4 A2 9mm (custom job)upper and use the OLY modified Sten mags (they provided) Then took about 5 other Sten mags to a machine shop and had the modification duplicated.
Looking back I wish I had ordered the A1 commando upper 9mm conversion instead but oh well.

With the OLY system, no modification is need at all for the lower, not even buffer. So it is easy to have two uppers for one lower. This was my original plan but I ended up just building another lower.

With Sten mags cheap and available, no lower modifications, and overall lower cost of the upper conversion, I would say OLY
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2002 1:40:25 PM EDT by SMGLee]
I have a Colt upper with a two piece block. It has been a fun shooter but i rarely every shoot it. I did the UZI magazine route, by modifying the UZI mag you can have magazine for your Colt 9mm at a decent price. I might be looking to buy a one piece block and a flat top from ASA, currently I have the colt upper l=on a Bushmaster lower, M4 handguards, GG&G surefire flashlight mount with a 6L light and a Reflex scout mount. 9mm is fun, but this is one of my collectiion I can do without. If you are tight on budget, go with a Oly set up, but I have seen them, I just think the Colt setup is much better. ASA has a complete upper, but i don't know their quality. but I know Gemtech uses their upper for their Talon upper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:49:26 PM EDT
Max..

I bought the Colt only because that was what someone was selling when I happened to be looking...they also had the 1 piece mag block. Makes for a fast change over from 556 to 9mm or 22lr.
The 30 round South African mags are reasonable priced (I only have 2) and I think there was someone mentioned here that will convert UZI mags for $5 bucks plus shipping... Colt mags are very expensive and hard to find...
I don't know anything about the Olympic...but have seen nothing but good posts on it here...

What drove to 9mm was the fact that I can shoot it at my local indoor range...

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:06:56 PM EDT
Love mine.

Colt Suppressed 9MM SMG:
- EA-Wilson RR lower with Cross-Fire mag-block
- Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed 9MM upper
- 4-postion selector (SAFE/SEMI/BURST/AUTO)
- Trijicon Reflex II
- Knights RIS/sling-swivel adapter/vertical pistol-grip
- Hogue grip
- Colt 2-position CAR stock
- MWS/GGG sling-support
www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p8c153f3320d3a6c1a5f0e3135909046b/fe103ba2.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:16:31 PM EDT
about how much is the oly upper? i really need a 9mm upper
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:23:34 PM EDT
DRFCOLT,

why do ya have to keep showing me that thing. makes my little colt 16" sick. i love my little 9mm. during the winter in Alaska theres not too many places to go if ya want to relain your brass. so i got a colt 9mm upper and stuck it on a rock river lower. i got a colt 16 post ban upper one piece magblock and 3 colt mags for $680. just have to shop around. i like the fact tht the original mag release is maintained. dont care for the oly mag type blocks hanging so far down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:24:05 PM EDT
You guys are a bad influence.

I just made the plunge:

Ordered the sten mags from Tapco

Ordered the sten mag block

Ordered the sten mag loader

Ordered a Rock river arms lower to do the conversion

Holding off on the oly 9mm upper, not ready to make the 600 dollar plunge.(Yikes)

Any recommendations for the upper A1 or A2?
Should I go flat top?
Should I do a muzzle brake?
Any body have any good pics for motivation?

Thanks

max
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2002 3:59:07 PM EDT by CIB]
maxell27 look around for a used upper that's what I did. Also, check this out www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=82210 for some pretty cool stuff. There is also alot of info in the Rimfire and Pistol Calibers Forum, that you might find interesting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:48:28 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can get a 9mm Oly upper?

I don't want to pay full retail and a slightly used one is not sounding too bad right now.

Thanks for your input gents

Max
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:22:08 AM EDT
Top Top