Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 5:24:43 PM EDT
I am wondering what causes the majority of the sound when firing a rifle, is it the primer? or is there something else that causes a significant amount of noise? thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
3 areas of concern when trying to suppress a weapon:
1. Noise of the action
2. Superheated gasses entering the relatively cool atmosphere
3. Crack of a supersonic round.

The hot gasses entering the cool surrounding atmosphere generate by far the preponderance of the noise.

Edited for a grammatical error. I can shoot and spell!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My vote is its 45,000 PSI inside your barrel coming out the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As PDM stated it is the hot gases escaping into the cooler atmosphere. The sonic crack of a .223 is similar to a .22LR. The noise of the action is minimal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have to say the guy next to me after my "melting" Wolf case tags him...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
preponderancy ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
so the heat creates a loud noise or is it the pressure, or both?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
maybe think of it as the explosion of the powder making the noise.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
preponderancy ?

Pedantic
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#9]
 There's a book published under the title of "Snipers, Silencers and Assasians". Can't rememeber the author.

This book (as I'm sure others do)gives a concise description on what generates weapons noise and how.

I also spent a nice afternoon in Germany a few years ago with an HK weapons designer. He was working on what he called an "Impulse Suppressor".
If I remember correctly it uses a series of baffles redirect the hot gasses back into each other, dramatically slowing them down. These gasses are then slowly pulsed into the atmosphere.

His opinion was that controlling gasses was the majority of the task.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I would say the sonic boom, hear how much quieter sub-sonic ammo is out of a rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The cat screaming!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#12]
PDM : I was just being an arse.

I read this before anyone else had posted a reply. At first I thought that it was a stupid question. After trying to phrase a smart assed answer, I decided to sit out on the first round.

Is the question " what do you hear"?
Wouldn't it be sort of the equivilant of 'turbulance'? Sound being air in motion, what are you actually hearing? The collison of the hot gasses at several 1000 FPS?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top