Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 4:58:24 PM EDT
charge state sales tax on handguns that are transfered in from other states. Anybody know of a good one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Enter your telephone area code at the link below:

www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you already pay tax in the other state?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
No. I wouldn't have to either since i'm not a resident of the state I bought it from. Most dealers in Washington are under the ATF thumb so they collect state sales tax under the threat that their license would be revoked if they didn't. I'm looking for the dealers that the ATF hasn't gotten to yet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't you just go to Portland, OR right across the river?  No sales tax in OR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
charge state sales tax on handguns that are transfered in from other states. Anybody know of a good one? Thanks.

Well he shouldn't charge it to you since he didn't sell it to you. I don't know how your dealer works it... but mine up here in Kent charges me tax on the transfer fee ($25.00 + tax) but not on the gun. Did you pay for the gun directly to the seller that is out of state? If so then the dealer won't know how much you paid for the gun anyway. Tell him it's a gift from an Uncle in another state and you are just transferring it. He shouldn't care...

Are you asking because your dealer said he would charge you tax on the purchase price? Or are you asking because you haven't contacted a dealer yet to do a transfer?

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can't you just go to Portland, OR right across the river?  No sales tax in OR.

No because then that would be a Federal Felony for Interstate gun Trafficking. If he is a Washington resident then he must transfer it to a dealer in his state. If not then why not just go get it from the guy he bought it from in the state he bought it from. That would defeat the reasoning behind the law (if there is any reason behind it really)
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Two dealers so far charged me sales tax on firearms that I transfered in. How did they know how much I paid for it? They opened the box up and there was the receipt. Next time I will ask for it to be mailed to me seperately.

What's the number for 4th Plain Discount Guns? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two dealers so far charged me sales tax on firearms that I transfered in. How did they know how much I paid for it? They opened the box up and there was the receipt. Next time I will ask for it to be mailed to me seperately.

Yeah, you got a raw deal then.... bummer.... just take you're business elsewhere and while your at it.... let those two dealers know that you're taking your business elsewhere.

It seems odd to me that they are forced to charge sales tax.... they didn't sell you the gun. They can't sell something that never was part of their inventory. I can understand taxing the transfer fee itself since it is the "Service" they are providing.... Oh well.... Onward!!!! to another FFL. Best of Luck!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
A FFl and I had a disscusion about this same thing the other day.He told me that he would charge me tax on a firearm but no transfer fee and the tax would be figured by an "old" Blue Book.I figured he's going to pocket the tax insted of the trasfer fee.On to another FFL.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#11]

(360) 906-7221
6718 N.E. 4th Plain Blvd
Vancouver Wa. 98661
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone charging "sales tax" on a non-sale is scamming the customer who is playing the sucker part perfectly.  The receiving FFL isn't selling anything except his services in the transfer.

Sales tax on a transfer fee may be legit if services are taxed by state laws (they are in some states).

Watch to see if this transaction is going thru the cash register too.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone charging "sales tax" on a non-sale is scamming the customer who is playing the sucker part perfectly.  The receiving FFL isn't selling anything except his services in the transfer.

Sales tax on a transfer fee may be legit if services are taxed by state laws (they are in some states).

Watch to see if this transaction is going thru the cash register too.  

-- Chuck

Chuck, that sounds about right to me. Hell what if it is transferred in as a gift? Or if you already owned it and it was transferred to another FFL in another state when you moved to another state?

How can they charge tax on something they didn't sell you??

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I called the state about it and the said that any product intended to be used in this state has to taxed Usage Tax, which I guess comes out to be the same as the sales tax. Technically all online out of state purchases should be charge Usage Tax, but the state doesn't have the resource to enforce this. It's much easier when the product has to be transfered through an in state dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top