Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 4:44:42 PM EDT

A friend of mine bought one a few weeks ago, and payed a good deal for it. At least it seems a little high dollar for a post ban rifle.

Has anyone dealt witht these much? I mean I know that HK products are known for their good quality, but still.

Are these things any more accurate or reliable a rifle than an AR-15? For the price of a preban, do you think they'd hold their value?

Just wondering, as I've never shot one. Hopefully we'll get out to the range soon so I can see what's so great about it.

Also, do these things take AR mags?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
sl8-1 you mean? if so, no, they arent lloking like their operationaly better than an AR. the only way they will hold any value is people putting too much blind faith on 2 little  letters on the gun (HK) and no, they only use their PC 10 round mags. thier is a conversion available, but its shaky at best, and made by ar15 public enemy number 1, tood of special weapons.

why did HK do this to us? they could have made this think in the USA, and keept the g36 profile, and feed it AR mags?

its cause they dont care about us, that simple
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a target rifle.  You don't need anything more than 10rnds.  I have one, and I love it.  It's actually softer shooting than an AR.  I've let many people at the range give it a try, and they were all impressed.

I do find it to be operationally better than an AR.  I have over 2000 malfunction-free rounds thru mine, and I have yet to do anything more than run a boresnake thru it.  The gas is not directed back into the chamber, so it stays very clean.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
More reliable? Maybe, and I only say maybe cause it's not completely a true G36.

More accurate? HELL NO! I'd put a stock Armalite DCM gun up against a scoped SL-8 any day, and that points out to the downside of this gun.

If H&K put the time and effort in exporting a "target" version of the G36 to begin with, they should have at least made one with close to PSG-1 like performance. 1-1.5 MOA to me is unacceptable on this sort of gun, when one could go out and spend an equal amount of money on an AR and get 0.75 MOA easily....or 0.25 MOA on a Les Baer

Now I don't know why the SL-8 can't get PSG-1 0.5 MOA accuracy, but I suspect it's the gun's assault rifle like tolerances and the barrel. When I shot one, it felt really loose, almost like my friend's AK-47. The trigger was a little creepy too, and I can imagine that it doesn't help either.

Point is, it ain't worth the money. It'll be worth the money when it becomes like a PSG-1. Then I'll pay $1600 for a Euro rifle that only holds 10 rounds in its mags.

themao
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also, do these things take AR mags?

NO! These rifles ONLY take their original design 10rd mags. In Germany they use 20/30 rd mags but in order to export to the US they have a fixed mag well that's a **single stack** well. Hopefully when the AW Ban sunsets the original mag wells can be imported & retrofitted.
And yes, I'd say that any H&K rifle would be just as accurate as anything from Colt or Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
1.  If it's the SL8-1, the operating system is significantly better than the AR15/M16.  It's based on the HK G36, which is a helluva rifle (fired one).

2.  Not only the mag well is different, but the receiver (and bolt) is made to only accept single stack mags, so the receiver would have to be milled and the bolt changed out.  Who's gonna do this to a $1100 target rifle?  Even if the AW law sunsets, is the BATF gonna let these into the country in a form any different that now?  I doubt it.

3.  Go with the AR if you want a gun that you can rock with.  Even with a post ban rifle, you get all the advantages of hi(standard) cap mags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
only thing I can think of that is better then a Ar system is the use of gas piston, this will keep your gun clean longer.  

I hate the thumb hole grip, I hate the ten round magazine, and i hate the freaking grey color.  I bought one before it was ban in Kali, I probably shot less then fifty rounds through it.

I am planing a SW conversion, but I will with untill the stock has come out.  and i am a bit worry about the receiver cracking too.

Buy a nice AR, you will get more out of it.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, that's about what I figured. I'd seen these things before, and couldn't remember why I had a bias against them besides the thumbhole stock. I forgot all about the 10 round mag.

I definetaly wasn't looking at buying one, I can't imagine paying that for a postban rifle to begin with. But that 10 round mag thing is the kicker.

And to be honest with you, I'm pretty happy with my AR's. It would have to be something pretty special for me to be impressed.

Maybe I'll get him out to the range soon and let him shoot my preban M4 with compact ACOG next to his postban HK and see what he thinks. Especially since his cost about as much as my setup.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top