Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 11:39:48 AM EDT
I need to find out all I can about this rifle, Loading, shooting, caring for it. Which is the best company to buy from? I would like to hear from shooters and their experiences.. Thanks a lot Jay
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Navy Arms 3-band Enfield. I don't know if you meant an original, or a reproduction. Wish I hadn't traded it off. I cast my own hollow base bullets for it, so it didn't cost much to shoot.  I used 60 grains blackpowder and there wasn't much recoil.  However, I used to load  patched round balls over a tremendous amount of black powder, and the BOOM and recoil were terrific !!! I had a place where I could shoot about 700 yards and after adjusting the rear sight, the bullet would hit close to point of aim at that distance. If I had to do it over again I might try the Enfield artillery model, or whatever they call it.  The 39 inch barrel on the 3 band is cumbersome, and not that much more velocity is gained.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Jay  
Im a Cvil War Reanactor.
Well you have your choice of Euroarms,
http://www.intred.com/euroarms/index.htm
Armisport
http://www.armisport.com/products.htm and Traditions use to make the 1858 but I think its been discontinued.
But the above is a good 95% authentic manufactures of this rifle.
Now as far as info beyond where to get it this is a good start

http://www.cwreenactors.com/
I can tell you how to properly load and fire or do you want the authentic way it was done by the soldiers?
My advice is to do a search on Hardee's manual, here it will give you step by step in loading and firing plus your manual of arms and etc, kinda like your smart book in the army now, but this is a repoduction manual of the 1800's.
Neeed anymore info email me
im Glad to help
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The best is the Parker Hale Enfield sold by Navy Arms, and a few other outlets.  These come in the short Artillery Musketoon, the 2 band Sgt's model, and the standard 3 band.
These are made to the original British Tower "sealed pattern" model, so it's absolutely
exact.
I had the Musketoon, and I used the recommended Lyman 565gr bullet mould.  It shot VERY well, both because of the heavy bullet, and the original type progressive rifling.

As an accessory I also shelled out the money and bought the Parker Hale Sgt's tool.  This is a tool to remove the nipple, disassemble the lock, remove stuck bullets, etc.  Very handy.

I really wish I'd kept it, because it was the most fun blackpowder gun I ever had.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if cost is a concern I'd go with Armisport, or euroarms $350.00. They both are fairly acurate in reproduction and both 3 band 1858 models are patterned after the british models and have the stamp. Navy is nice but your buying a name and it is not 100% acurate (around $650.00). I have been reenacting for 5 years and I have progressed to a more hardcore attitude and look. I can honestly tell you none of them is authentic 100% in the blueing,stock finish and stamping. We in the hobby take ours and defarb it to where it looks as authentic as can be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the informative replies!!! It just so happens I dug up an old Dixie Gun Works catalog and looked at the Parker Hale 3 band Enfield. Why do some gun makers make there guns with fast bullet twists and others with a very slow twist? The Parker Hale 3 band has a slow twist and is no good for minie balls. I see the 2 band PH enfield has a fast twist. Thanks Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top