Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 12:23:56 PM EDT
Looking for a more objective opinion than on SigForums - local gun shop is running an end-of-the-year sale on the sp2009/sp2340 for $400 and I'm thinking of getting one (or, what the heck, both).  I vaguely remember somebody giving the SigPro a thumbs down a while ago, but I can't find that post now.  Opinions? (and no, I don't like Glocks.)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Well doc, I wanted one until I went to the gun shop and picked it up.  I'ts a little lighter than the other Sigs, and the controls were a little different.  I owned a Sig P220 and it was a great pistol, I just wanted something else worse.  

I wasn't impressed with the Sig Pro. I didn't like it at all, it just didn't feel right.  I've never shot one so I couldn't give you an honest opinion on how it shoots.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2340 in 357 SIG, if you can pick one up for 400, I suggest you take it.  For what it is, the SIGPros are very nice handguns.  One I have is accuracte, the trigger is very SIG like, and the new grip is not as nice as the 226, but it is not bad.  make sure you check the grip with the magazine in it(Safty, make sure it is cleared), since bottom of the magazine is part of the grip, you might find the grip uncomfortable with out the magazine in it.  

The gun takes apart different then the old SIG, that is a point I did not like, the gun takes apart like a browning, the old SIG take down was much better.  

in conclusion(LOL), 400 dollars for a SIG is a very good deal, and getting it in 357SIG will double your choice, since I have seen 40SW barrel for sale for around 140 dollars.  I like the SIG, but I have to say my P226 is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've responded to this before, but I'll restate it here: The SigPro is a big gun. I have a USP Tactical (also a big gun), and the SigPro is bigger than the Tactical. In this case, I don't think bigger == better (Just some C/C++ lingo there).

If money's not an issue, I'd strongly suggest the Tactical - it's an excellent pistol. Otherwise, if Sig's your pick, I'd suggest the P226, P228, or P220. These are good guns that have a strong following. The SigPro doesn't seem to be as well-loved. In fact, I've noticed that my dealer hasn't really stocked them in some time. The P220, P226, P228 are still sellers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
SIGPro is not bigger then the tactical, SIGPro is the same size as a P228, or P229.  a USP tactical is definitely bigger.  Besides, 900 dollars for a tactical is way higher then the 400 asking price for the SIGPro. Unless you have the tactical in consideration, then I would select the Tactical, Tactical is an excellent weapon for all occusions. Besides, I think the USP line is a much better designed weapon then a SIGPro, of course I can't say the same against the older SIGs. But price is part of the equation, 400 for that SIGPro is heck of a deal.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the opinions.  I already have a p226 in 9mm that is my favorite handgun, just looking for something to add.  Eventually I think I'll add a p229 when I get enough money saved.  The SigPro looks great, and I have to agree $400 is a nice price.  I'm looking more at the 2009 since all of the handguns I now have are 9mm and I don't feel like adding another caliber logistically, and I can handle the 9mm recoil better than a 40.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I really love my Pro. Great gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
OK. Take a look at the frame height and width. The H&K only has a greater length (not news), due to its extended, threaded barrel. But, the SigPro is wider & taller. I've held both, & even its grip feels larger.

I still opine that it's a larger gun. Of course, it is still a Sig. JMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Sig pro is a nice gun. I would suggest the Sig P226, P228, P229 or P220. You can get high capacity magazines for the P226, P228 or P228 thought they are expensive. I have seen high capacity magazines for the P226 for $45 to $50. The P229 are going for over a $100. These four also feel better in my hand.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe that the SIGPRO pistol was designed as a cheap alternative to their other pistols in order to compete in the LE market.  IMHO, I don't think they lived up to their reputation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
a close friend of mine is an LEO, his department switched from glock 9mm to SigPro 40's. after hassles with rention holsters, getting everyone qualified, and retraining the armorers they all want their glocks back. apparently there are an awful lot of cops who hadnt really been exposed to weapons before the academy and would forget what all the little levers were under the mind numbing stress of a range masters instructions (extreme sarcasm)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top