Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 9:33:43 AM EDT
anybody have experiance with this rifle? I would appreciate any info. reliability? .308 recoil? etc, whatever...   thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 7400 in 30-06, nice groups.  but the gun sometimes, though rare, JAMMED.  sold it, 30-06 is kinda scary to shoot (noise & recoil).
bought same gun in .243, absolutely love it.  has never jammed & is a joy to shoot.  u'll like it in 308.  I believe the short action cartridges (.308, .243) are less likely to jam.  bought a couple of 10 rnd mags for it =)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad had a 742 which is an earlier version.Never had a problem and was reasonably accurate.Gas operated so it was low on recoil.Im a bad judge of recoil though,it just doesn't bother me.The remington pump rifles will give the average bolt a run for its money.I know a guy that has one in 243 and its a honest sub 1 inch rifle with its favorite load.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the rifle that put me into military style simi-autos. I purchased one in 1986 in 30-06, for deer hunting. I took it to the range on a day that was snowing with the wind blowing at 30 mph. It fired one round, then the second round jammed in the chamber solid, I could not get the thing running for anything, and belive me there is nothing worse than trying to work on a gun with a live round in the chamber. Well I took it back and recived another one thinking that this was just a fluke, but suprise suprise the new one did the samething. And yes I now test all of my rifles under similar conditions.
After that I purchased a M1A and it never failed, nor has any of my AR-10s or AR-15s.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine hasn't jammed.
 It shoots 1.5" or less at 100-yds. with Rem.180 PSP, and with Rem.220 SP.
.30-06 carbine, Y2K manufacture with the J-lock safety.  I really like this rifle!  Just don't overlube it, and it'll shoot fine.  BOOM!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
very nice pics! thanks for the feedback. how does that pistol grip stock feel compared to AR?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
007, Where did you get the pistol grip stock? I had a 742 for over 20 years, shot over 40 deer with it. Remington had a trade in program three years ago. Sent in my 742 and $300.00 and they sent me a new 7400. Shot a doe on the last day of the NY season and it failed to load a new round. Checked it out, dirty my fault. Love to hunt with auto's. MIKE>
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad had a 742 in 30/06. The chamber rusted and it started to jam. The gun was loud, but it kicks less than my Ruger M77 in 7x57. I used to shoot it with one hand and the stock tucked under my arm. The trigger is merely OK, and cannot be improved. Keep it clean and it will serve you well.

Oh yeah, scope it. The open sights suck. I've heard that ghost ring sights from a remmy shotgun can be mounted, if that's what you prefer.

I have also read that the receiver rails can peen just from firing.  That can't be fixed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The Choate stock for the 870 will fit with a bit of judicious filing of the notch that fits into the back of the action.
You can see in the photo it is ever so slightly oversized in the area around the back of the receiver.  Cinch the buttstock down good and tight.  No problem.
An 870 & a 7600 would be a great combo set up like this.  

The peening effect mentioned was on the 740's that had something like 19 locking lugs and when that "bolt chatter" started, you go get a new rifle.
The 7400 design has 4 lugs, I believe, to eliminate that problem.

It's a blast to shoot this one.
Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top