Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 9:44:40 PM EDT
getting a slide or frame hard chromed.  also want a place that will black chrome

thanks

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used these guy for a few pistols.

www.checkmatecustom.com

Very nice work
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Checkmates rep is not high on most of the handgun sites.
That is being polite as I can.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
getting a slide or frame hard chromed.  also want a place that will black chrome

thanks

I'm looking for exactly the same service.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with Decatur Plating Co.  Decatur, IL. Back in the 80's, they did several 1911's for me for $20 each. However, are you aware that it's a bad idea to hard chrome a slide, especially if you are going to use hot loads or shoot the gun much? Chroming can set up "hydrogen embrittlement" in steel parts.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
no kidding?  well why is the slide more important than the frame?  it seems it would be just as bad to have brittle rails right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Highly loaded (stressed) areas can be baked to drive out the hydrogen but as the previous response said it's probably best not to. This hydrogen imbrittlement happens with chem milling which is used on aerospace hardware and there are tests to check for it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
once again though...

why is the slide more important than the frame?  seems if the rails are brittle the same thing can happen...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Metaloy or APW in Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top