Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 3:55:11 PM EDT
Does anyone own one and if so, how is it? Are they accurate, and how hard to find and how expensive are high capacity mags?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone own one and if so, how is it? Are they accurate, and how hard to find and how expensive are high capacity mags?

Do a search for AR-10 in the last 3 months.

I'm not expert with them and don't own one, but I think the general feeling is that they're pretty damn accurate, however high-cap mags are hard to come by and more expensive (I think you can convert over AR-15 mags for something like $20 a mag though).

I was thinking of one of these or an M1A for my next rifle. I'm leaning more towards the M1A since I want something a bit different than my AR-15s.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" AR-10A2 that is a blast to shoot, literally. The muzzle blast is awesome. If you like AR-15, you will love the 10.
Here's me shooting mine.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually the mags to convert are M-14 mags.

The AR-10(T),s are very accurate.  (I'll admit to having three.)

I don't know much about the AR-10A2's or A4's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Have to admit....the best I`ve been able to do so far, with my a4 carbine.....is 1" 3 shot groups...100 yards...4 power scope......maybe if I actually rested the rifle on the bench?????
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
......maybe if I actually rested the rifle on the bench?????

When shooting for accuracy here in Oklahoma there is a Federal law that only applies to this state that basically says "you must shoot from a rest and use at least a 10X scope if shooting over 25 yards."
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
But that`s just for handguns isn`t it?..
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
HG112 i see the bipod has  just left the bench in the photo.
I sure love my a4s,still haven`t got a bipod for it,thought i might get one for x-mas but got a metal detector instead.
Well guess i don`t have to worry about loseing the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AR10T. I have shot a 11/16" group at 200 yards prone with factory Federal Gold Medal 168gr.BTHP Match. Needless to say, I am thrilled with the 10T!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
turbonatr,arn`t the a4s and t`s the same rifle other than the forarm and the barrel is lapped.
So a properly broke in a4s barrel should be pretty close in accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But that`s just for handguns isn`t it?..

For pistols the scope requirement is identical but the yardage drops to 10 !
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be interested in the AR-10B if:  A. the price wasn't so damn high; and B. mags weren't so damn expensive.  You have to use M-14 mags which cost $35-$40 to begin with, and then you have to spend $20 to have Armalite convert them for you.  You're looking at $55-$60 per mag minimum.  It sure isn't like the AR-15 where you can accumulate dozens of mags relatively cheaply.

Armalite makes fine weapons, but they do charge a premium.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
HG112 i see the bipod has  just left the bench in the photo.

Yep, sometimes she bucks a little.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd be interested in the AR-10B if:  A. the price wasn't so damn high; and B. mags weren't so damn expensive.  You have to use M-14 mags which cost $35-$40 to begin with, and then you have to spend $20 to have Armalite convert them for you.  You're looking at $55-$60 per mag minimum.  It sure isn't like the AR-15 where you can accumulate dozens of mags relatively cheaply.

Armalite makes fine weapons, but they do charge a premium.

How is a scope mounted on the 10B ??
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]
KP,pretty nice,looks mean how does she shoot.
I imagine it holds up that ar10 reputation as a fine shooten rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot this a couple of weeks ago with my AR10A4.  That's 100 yds with Fed Gold Medal 168gr.  I have been continually impressed with the accuracy of this rifle since the first time I shot it.  It just keeps getting better...

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here is my AR-10T Custom.

K_Paul,
any chance of emailing me that photo with a little about the mods you've made, performance, etc.
There's a guy I would like to see what you've done.  (Within ArmaLite)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven't shot it yet since I'm deployed to Kuwait with the Army right now.  I am coming home at the end of Jan for leave and plan on shooting it then.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#19]
OH...MAN....There`s that UGLY blackandgreen again!!!!........
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Redmanfms, I picked up an AR10-B about six months ago at the Tampa Gunshow. I t was the first one I had even seen close-up and bought it on the spot. Didn't get the toaster you're supposed to get with it. I guess the dealer I bought it from was hoarding all of 'em. Had some trouble with shotr-recoil/eject but no extract after about 60 rounds. I called Armalite (you will not find nicer folks to deal with) and the gunsmith told me that they were having some trouble with gas leaking past the bolt carrier key. Rather than send the rifle back, he told me to remove the key and put some locktite around the gas passage. It seems to have worked okay. The muzzle blast is pretty wild. You may want to pick the end position at the range, though. It will also help to have a Good buddy on the other side of you too. 5subslr5, there is no provision for a conventional scope mount as the charging handle clearance is about the width of a sheet of paper inside the charging handle. Yeah, the mags are expensive but if you have an M1-A you can use the converted '10 mags in it with no bolt-hold-open feature if that doesn't bother you. Gunner-1 Yeah, it's a tack driver at 100 yards right out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Go to the Armalite website...www.armalite.com
it has a great little video about Armalite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
5subslr5, there is no provision for a conventional scope mount as the charging handle clearance is about the width of a sheet of paper inside the charging handle.

FHH, I have an old AR-10 and a scope mount that I believe was probably made by a convict in Canada !
Wonder if this mount will work on the new AR-10B?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
5subslr5, On page 56 of Sam Pikula's book there is a close-up pic of the receiver of a Sudanese AR-10 with a scope mount on it. The nut looks about the width of a silver dollar but you would have to drill a hole in the AR10-B's handle to mount something like that. Even then I think the nut would be too thick. Besides, Armalite discourages any drilling to the handle as the receiver is already weakened by the charging handle slot. So far, that's the only drawback to the weapon I can see. It's still a gas to shoot. Maybe your mount would clamp to the outside of the carrying handle ears. That probably would work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Gunner-1. What is the cost of quality? That ole saying, "You get what you pay for" is true with the AR10. Proud owner of a 10T. The wife would never let me live it down if she knew what I paid for it. She married the gunnut, not me. Still, I have on one of my good days put 10 rnds under a quarter. The typical flyer stuck out from under the .25. The second 10 rounds went into the same holes so I can say 20 rounds under the .25. That was my best day. Mine likes Berger 168 molys, over 51.4 grs. 4064. The other thing I like is not seeing another one at the range. I hear there are three down here, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl, but I have yet to be at the local park and see another one. Lots of M1A's but not AR-10's. If any of you are in this area, Markham Park, let me know, we'll get together after the smoke clears and have a few.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#25]
A few years back I bought an AR-10A2 and had nothing but trouble and just so-so accuracy. I am glad to see they got their s--t together. Mine would do 2-2.5' @ 100 yds with most ammo, surp and hunting except Hornady 150 SP, with those I'd get close to or better than an inch. Fed Gold was 1.5-1.25". I had 6 of the Armalite converted $85 jam-a-matic mags and had to send it in for for the bolt recall. While there I had them install their match trigger, much better, but still with the trigger and a 12x Nikon Monarch scope, I got so-so accuracy and was never comfortable enough to shoot it in an IPSC match. Last three gun match I shot in a friend shot his AR10A2 single shot, it jammed that much. He came in last. Like I said. I am glad they got it together, just wished they had it together when I bought mine.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
5subslr5, On page 56 of Sam Pikula's book there is a close-up pic of the receiver of a Sudanese AR-10 with a scope mount on it. The nut looks about the width of a silver dollar but you would have to drill a hole in the AR10-B's handle to mount something like that. Even then I think the nut would be too thick. Besides, Armalite discourages any drilling to the handle as the receiver is already weakened by the charging handle slot. So far, that's the only drawback to the weapon I can see. It's still a gas to shoot. Maybe your mount would clamp to the outside of the carrying handle ears. That probably would work.

Have book - will check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top