Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/30/2001 8:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2001 8:09:30 AM EDT by PaoloAR15]
Today I shot with both them. The oly is mine, the SL8 was of a friend.

The SL8 looks really evil with the last black polymer stock and a Leatherwood optic mounted.

I shoot with the SL8 5 rounds and I was shocked: with the Federal "American Eagle" ammo, the same I used with my AR, the rifle was really prone to JUMP in my hands, showing a really nervous behaviour. Nothing to say about the trigger, better than mine.
I shot at 170 meters, with 9x optic, and my friend to 100 m. and 170 m. I saw the groups and I take measures.

Then I shot with my Oly at 100 m with the metallic sights..

I OUTGUNNED the SL8.

I would like to see my AR with a 4x optic what can do at 170 m. (the maximum I can do in this range...). And the reactions (with Federal and reloads with features similar to the Federal ones) of the AR were so smooth that I dared to make few double tap!!!

See you soon!
PaoloAR15
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:01:00 AM EDT
Please keeps posted with the results of your shooting. There have been various magazine reviews here in the U.S. about the HK SL8, Soldier of Fortune comes to my mind at the moment. SOF's review was luke warm because there were better rifles available for less money. They were also kind of miffed by the fact only 10 rd max magazines available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:29:08 PM EDT
hmm, ar15....... mid 7-800$ range. battle proven, exceptable to exelent accuracy, many hi cap mags, or SL8 about the price of a pre ban AR, unsual shape, a tid bit fugly, cost as much as a pre ban ar, only takes 10 rd ,mags, cost as much as a pre ban ar,cost as much as a pre ban ar,cost as much as a pre ban ar,cost as much as a pre ban ar,cost as much as a pre ban ar.

im gonna have to think about this one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:41:06 AM EDT
I have to correct your point of view from the side of the European market:

I paid for the Oly AR15 (K4B) about 1,400 USD.
Tha guy paid his SL8 about 1,200 USD. Plus 350 the optic.

So they cost (if you don't consider the optic) bout the same price.

I noticed that:

1) The SL8 seemed to transfer more recoil and reaction to the shooter than the AR15. Normally, after each shot using only a front rest, I found the AR again aimed to the target, maybe with some little correction, the SL8 after the shot was really jumping everywhere!
2) Same load, accuracy looked better with the AR15 at the same distance (100 mt.), but I shot only 5 rounds at 170 mt. with the SL8 and I didn't do the same with the AR because I haven't any optic mounted on it.

I am keeping in touch with this friend and I will ask him to make a comparison at the same distance. I will prepare some accurate reloads (I am thinking Hornady 55 grs fmj balls, 26.1 grs. of Vihtavuori N140, CCI primers Small Rifle). The distance (100 mt.) allows me to shoot without the optic.

I will keep you updated.

* HAPPY NEW YEAR *
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:27:00 PM EDT
Had a chance to shoot a couple of G36's that the local PD had at my clubs range. Looked great but to be honest I thought they were a waste of money, at least for the PD. For the price they could have had M4's plus a lot of extras. I could see no reason to get these other than someone wanted to blow some taxpayers dollars on new toys. I hope they are taken better care of than the M-14's they had there at the same time. There were 3 and they looked brand new except for the pitting and corrosion at the gas cylinder were they had been shot and never cleaned for who knows how long. See Ya
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:05:25 PM EDT
For a target rifle, the AR-15 is superior. For an assault rifle in the military (where you can't clean it every 500-1000 rounds), the G36 is superior. That's about all I have to say about that.

themao
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:10:07 PM EDT
Hi Poalo,

The G36 (and SL8) are what I'd like to call:

"The Emperors new clothes", if you know what I mean.

So funny how folks can say the G36 is battle proven since it has been around for only a few years now....

Anyway, the only 223 rifles that can outshoot my AR's are my AUG and SIG PE90.

Ciao from Holland,
RG.nl
Top Top