Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 5:06:32 PM EDT
I spent years looking for a safe for my collection.  But I never wanted to spend $1000 on a nongun item.  A relative of mine has an old ATM safe around 30x30x40inches (he bought an old bank). This will fit everything handgun, anything folding and anything that fieldstrips. the door on the thing is about an inch thick steel plate 1/2in. everywhere else AND ITS FREE!  I just have to move it 500 miles, through a parking lot, over two curbs and down one flight of stairs!  It's about 600lbs.  I've got a truck that's about it!

Ideas ????????????????
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
mover's dolly and ramps for truck
plus --find a friend.

Option two (smart option) call local moving company at load and unload sites. Have them post a "side job" on workplace board. Have movers put in truck and put into house.
(mover's tend to be scumbag class, make sure they know that you are bolting safe to house, and keep track of their names)
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
mover's dolly and ramps for truck
plus --find a friend.

(mover's tend to be scumbag class, make sure they know that you are bolting safe to house, and keep track of their names)

Isn't that the truth! I bought my safe from a local dealer, cost of moving/installing included. First thing I asked him was who was helping him move/setup. He said he only used his nephews and would vouch for them 100%. I told him I'd hold him to it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It is much better if empty! then it is easy!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Deputygadget: contact Piner's Lock. i think they cover all of florida. www.pinerslock.com these guys are pros. they sell really big stuff and are top quality movers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
After you hire the scumbags to move it, you'll have to kil----no, wait, that won't work...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you want my address?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got finished moving my new safe - 30x26x60 510lbs.  Three guys and an appliance cart was enough to get it up a flight of stairs.  It wasn't the weight that was the problem as much as the size, so you probably shouldn't have that much trouble.   The only problem you may have is getting it out of the truck - wasn't so much of a problem with mine as we actually used a work van, which was lower to the ground and because of the longer safe, we just sort of slid it out and tipped it down.  You'll probably need some sort of ramp.

Rocko
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
deputygadget,

I moved a Fort Knox Guardian safe, I think it is 27" deep, Maybe 40" wide and 61" tall, and weighs in at 990 lbs. I used several heavy duty tie downs linked together to tie the safe to its pallet.  We borrowed a pallet jack from the dealer and pulled/pushed it up the ramp of a rented motorcycle trailer.  We then strapped it to the trailer so it wouldn't fall over during a fast stop.  Manuvered it down the ramp when we got home, placed the pallet in front of the door and slid (Harder than it sounds)it in front of the door.  Went in side to call a couple more buds.  (Not the beer!)  While waiting for reinforcements to arrive, I screwed 2 2x4's to the wooden steps to act as rails and placed several planks of 2x lumber on the floor as more rails to run the safe to where it will end up.  Make sure to soap the rails!!  Thats right, a old bar of soap rubbed on the 2x lumber makes the safe glide right along!!   (this was the safe dealers suggestion)  Worked great!!  Push slow because if you miss a spot with the soap it will stop FAST!!  

When help arrived we put rope around the safe, under the handle, laid the safe on it's side, ran the rope straight up the stairs and placed the rope around the ball on the trailer hitch as a change of direction.  We then tied the rope to the hitch on another truck that ran staight down the driveway.  The guy in the truck backed up slowly while we pushed the safe down the stairs.  As soon as we had gravity on our side we backed off, and let the truck back up to lower the safe down the stairs.

We stood the safe up (almost lost the heat duct) and slid it on the soaped rails to its final resting spot on a couple of wolmonized 4x4's, resting on the concrete basement floor.

We needed all 4 guys to do the job.

None of the 4 will be there to help me move it out!!

Hope this helps.           Tim    
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
[Humor - don't really try this]

Check with the county sheriff's work-release program.  They usually have a number of ambitious and strong guys looking for something to do.

Then toss them the keys to your house and ask them to clear the way for your move while you get the trailer.  They should come back and meet up with you to do the loading, once they have the house ready.

Don't worry if they don't return as soon as you might expect.  Rush hour traffic might make them late, and you want them to do a thorough job, right?  

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
After you hire the scumbags to move it, you'll have to kil----no, wait, that won't work...

In a movie the Egyptian's killed the slaves who knew the location of the secret burial grounds.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey prk, don't forget to tell him to let the convicts load up the safe for him too!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
That's what "FRIENDS" are for!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Call ATLAS van lines save your back
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, try golf balls (maybe cheaper and more manuverable than PVC).  Once you get to a flat surface, tilt the safe back, then place 1-2 dozen golf balls underneath.  The safe will slide easily on the balls.  Of course you will need to keep rotating the balls (bringing from back to front) to keep it moving.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
All the more reason to buy a slightly lighter safe!  Mine weighs about 650-pounds with the door and perhaps 550-pounds with the door removed.  

With four big guys we were able to get it up three flights of stairs into my current appartment so getting it into a basement will not be too bad!

When loaded with guns, ammo, and a few bags of lead shot and the door this safe is heavy enough that sombody will take notice to the fools that decide to take the thing and try to get away with it!  Bolted to the floor I have little doubt that a thief would find an easier way to make a living as the stuff I have in my safe isn't worth that much effort IMHO!

As for the golf ball recomendation, I would hate to see what that would do to your flooring unless you were doing this on concrete!

Also, I can't help but think how funny it would be to have a theif steal an 750-pound safe... cut his way in.... and find $2000 in gun stuff.  That would be enough to make any thief cry!!!

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a friend that was rolling his new safe on PVC pipe, size ?. While he was in another room he heard a big thud, returned to find his safe flat on its back. Then and there his moving problem went into big time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I moved my safe from Southern California to Boise, IDaho.

It's 40"Wx24"Dx60"T, and weighs almost 800 lbs.

It took three of us to get it up into the moving van, and three more to get it back down.

We rolled it through the house on top of several lengths of schedule 40 (tanslated means really thick) 2 1/2" steel pipe I got from work.

With all the people, and equipment (furniture dolley, pallet jack, hydraulic lift) it was still a major pain.

Save yourself some heartache and possible injury, hire someone. As long as you call one of the big name movers, you shoul be fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I vote for passing on this deal and getting a "real" safe.  You're going to spend some money getting your "shortie" home and generally speaking you would get free delivery from a "real" safe company.  600 pounds is a lot of weight and your 30XX30X40 is pretty small.  Why not do it right the first time, get a real safe from a real safe company and have the thing delivered and installed right where you want it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys ...

I have moved my Bridgeport (1800 lbs.) all over Central Florida, picked up my Southbend 16" (4500 lbs.) in Atlanta - no big deal, but of course I have the equipment.

If you decide to pass on this safe or would like to off load it, I would gladly give you a couple of hundred you could use towards a full size safe, maybe a little more depending on how far I have to go to collect it.  I'd like to add a pistol only safe to my collection, as my current safe it getting quite full.  Please let me know if you intend to let it go.

Thanks,

Ryan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top