Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 12:29:48 PM EDT
One of the nice things about living in AZ is that we can can carry open. You will frequently see people out and and about with a holster on their belt.

Are there other states where this is allowed? I know several states forbid it, even to licensed CCW holders.

To you AZ people, how often do you carry open?
I usually have mine concealed, but will carry open if I'm headed to the range, or sometimes if I'm out and about late at night.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
vermont i think
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's legal in Nevada, but not in the cities of North Las Vegas and Boulder City. I carry open when I'm in rural Nevada and no one blinks and eye, although it is legal to carry in Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Strip it is highly discouraged, you will most likely be cited for disturbing the peace if a cop sees you or is called on you. I always wondered if anyone has ever tried it to see what would happen, if it is legal would the disturbing the peace charged be dropped?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It's technically legal here in Michigan. But try walking down the sidewalk in Detroit with a weapon on your hip. Believe me, I'd feel better if I could....
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
i've seen people carry open in indiana, but that doesn't mean that they didn't have a CCW.  i do know that with a CCW you can carry concealed or not in indiana.

i always thought you could carry open.  but fiance just told me that another indiana resident once told him that carrying open was considering brandishing the weapon.  to which i have to say "poop on that" because i know i could carry open with my CCW.  so the mere fact that i carry open can't be brandishing.  but then the laws have never been simple matters that seek to prohibit or encourage certain behaviors.  there's always caveats, loop-holes, and various other crappy problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in WI, there's no CCW and open carry is legal so long as you're not in a vehicle.  But, try it in any of the cities (Madison, Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, and some suburbs) and you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace/inciting a riot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I'm in WI as well (GO PERSONAL PROTECTION ACT) and open carry around the house quite a bit after our kid is in bed and all the time at the range.  Even if I'm shooting slow fire on the rifle range, I NEVER go down range (leaving ammo, rifles, and mags up range) without a firearm.  Though I suppose the range doesn't count.  

Now, the first time I march down State Street in Madison with a 1911 on my hip will be the first day that I'm booked into the Dane County Jail.  I don't know what they'd charge me with (though I could guarantee it would be unlawful), but I'm sure I'd get arrested.  Sure sucks, IMHO.

Which is exacly why we need legal CCW.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I carried in the open here until I got my CCW.
An extra advantage is that with legal open carry, you don't get busted if someone sees your concealed carry weapon. I've heard in some states(Texas?) you can actually get arrested if your "concealed" handgun is seen by someone.

It's nice to be able to take off my jacket and keep my shoulder rig on sometimes, without getting too much attention.

Yes, you will be arrested in TX if you fail to properly conceal your CCW. It is considered illegal even if the weapon is fully covered but the outline of the weapon is discernable through your clothing. It must remain reasonably undetectable to others while carried.
If charged, you will also lose your carry privilidges for a time period.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
NEW NEXICO
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here in WI, there's no CCW and open carry is legal so long as you're not in a vehicle.  But, try it in any of the cities (Madison, Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, and some suburbs) and you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace/inciting a riot.

As far as the books are concerned, I believe that open carry is legal in Wi. However, it is also stated as illegal in the city of Milwaukee and perhaps other cities. In any case, I have never seen it practiced anywhere outside of the nothern boonies.  You would be "cuffed and stuffed" and brought in for questioning (charges?) if you practiced it in any WI city.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Open carry is legal here in NC.  There is a slight problem, in that there exists a common law about "Going Armed To The Terror Of The People"

By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

This is a relic from the post civil war era, to put the brakes on KKK activity. The problem is that it is way too vague.  Terror is in the eye of the beholder, so a cocked -n- locked 1911 might instill more terror than a revolver, for instance.

I don't as a rule, carry in public, but I do keep my pistol on the dashboard on road trips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top