Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 3:44:03 PM EDT
My dad came up with the best wrapping job ever for my Christmas present this year.  I opened up my present and it contained a hammer.  I wasn't sure what it was to, but figured a semi-auto of some sort.  After several presents all "from" animals my dad has, I had a bunch of small pins, springs, and finally a bolt.  I realized it was probably a M1 carbine finally after opening up the bolt.  At first I was hoping for a Garand, but that's ok, I'm not complaining.    I opened about 9 presents before I finally got to the reciever and stock.  The last present was copies of all the info my dad had on his M1 carbine; history, #'s and markings for each, schematics(thank god!), and a couple of different articles.  This is probably the best present ever!  My wife and kids were rolling watching me open up each present.  My dad said he had been waiting all year to do this.  It only took me about an hour to put it all together.  

Mine is not in as good of shape as my dad's(Inland), but I'm very happy with it.  Mine is an I.B.M.  Not all of the parts match, but the articles I read about it said very few rifles would have all matching parts.  Most of the parts are correct for the I.B.M. version.  The bore is very bright and clean.  The finish on the barrel, reciever and trigger group is in great shape!  The stock is not in great shape.  Someone sanded off the white paint markings on the walnut stock.  It has some dings and gouges, but looks very authentic!   The only "problem" with the rifle I see is it is marked on the barrel with an importers stamping........Blue Sky.   Most people on this board have not had good things to say  about this importer or the rifles that it sells.  Oh well, anyone heard anything about thier carbines?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a nice story.  Your dad sounds like a great guy.  Congratulations on both your new gun and your dad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
where you i get a dad like yours?
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT'.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Have some Bluesky Garands and a carbine.  The only problem I ever had with them was the operating rod springs. Looks like when they refinished the metal parts, whatever they soaked the parts in made the springs brittle.  After a few rounds, the springs broke in several places,(shattered).  After replacing the springs,never had anymore problems. I remember hearing that Bluesky was getting most of their stuff from Korea, Stuff we gave Korea  and they were selling it on the world market. This could be wrong, but the rifles are up to par.  Good Shooting!! ALLONS11
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for a great story!!!
I may do that for my daughter in a few years.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have a winchester/blue sky carbine. I had to replace the hammer spring with the 26(?) coil M2 carbine hammer spring. and I also had to replace the extractor/ejector springs. now it is a great little gun.

Good shooting with it!

CB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top