Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/27/2001 2:44:16 PM EDT
Which should I buy?

Smith&Wesson 617 revolver (.22lr)

OR

Microsoft XBox

?????????????????????????????­??????

I don't need either one. I have 5 handguns AND a PC. This will definitely be a toy.

The .22lr is appealing 'cuz I could shoot all day for $10.

The XBox is appealing because it's an XBox.

Opinions?

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2001 2:46:12 PM EDT by ComputerGuy]
Get the Smith. I too want one... can I borrow it?

I played an Xbox before and it was very hard to control, and not much fun. Hell, I'd take a 64 before an Xbox.

Of course, I was also pretty drunk at the time with the xbox....
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:49:04 PM EDT
There are more uses and more places you can use the .22 besides, you dont have hardly enough firearms
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:53:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 7IDL:
There are more uses and more places you can use the .22 besides, you dont have hardly enough firearms

I have 12, 5 of which are handguns. How many do you have?

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:06:10 PM EDT
You are obviously already using a computer. Get a killer graphics card and put the S&W in layaway. Then you will have both.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:14:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BenDover:
You are obviously already using a computer. Get a killer graphics card and put the S&W in layaway. Then you will have both.

BOTH ! NOW THAT'S AN EXCELLENT SUGGESTION !!!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:17:05 PM EDT
There is no such thing as enough firearms!!!
Get the .22 . The time you waste with the game could be spent better by refining your shootin' skills.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:48:42 PM EDT
In a couple of years the 617 will still be worth a few hundred dollars at resale. (That is, if you choose to sell it.)

That XBox thing will be worth $20.

My 617 sits on the top shelf of the safe.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:57:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 223-Buckaroo:

How old are you?

I'm 30 days and a wake up short of my 21st and I have 19 guns in all. The day I turn 21 it'll be 20 guns. I'm of the opinion that you should have at least 1 gun for every year you have been alive, 2 per year of life would be even better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:59:32 PM EDT

Which should I buy?

Smith&Wesson 617 revolver (.22lr)

OR

Microsoft XBox

?????????????????????????????­??????

I don't need either one. I have 5 handguns AND a PC. This will definitely be a toy.

The .22lr is appealing 'cuz I could shoot all day for $10.

The XBox is appealing because it's an XBox.

Opinions?

I wouldn't give those S.O.B's at Smith and Wesson a friggin dime! They turned their backs on us, we should do the same.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:11:32 PM EDT
Buy both. Then use the XBox as a target.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:15:23 PM EDT
Why don't you go to a Microsoft message board and ask the same question. You had to have known that you were only going to get biased opinions here.

However, after playing my brother in laws new XBox yesterday for a couple of hours, I'm gonna have to go with the XBox.

You'll get a lot more fun out of the Box since you already have a bunch of guns to shoot. Just make sure you get Halo to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:19:48 PM EDT
The XBox will end up on eBay in a few months for $100, if that... get the 617...
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:26:14 PM EDT

Lets just say that you got some catching up to do, but you're not that far away

I see several good points here about the value of the xbox will drop much faster than the .22

about HALO, I remember when there was a bunch of hype about this as a PC game.. now it's only on xbox?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:13:24 PM EDT
Get a revolver.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:19:21 PM EDT
My first answer would be to get the revolver, but on second thought, screw S&W. HALO looks like fun. I played the demo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:24:42 PM EDT
Don't buy a Clinton-Wesson 617 revolver
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:51:16 PM EDT
You guys need to get over the S&W thing.

If you don't want to buy weapons because of politics, stop buying Rugers, Colts, and Remingtons too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:08:04 PM EDT
Xbox sucks. now with PS2, you can get grand theft auto 3. thats gotta be the greatest game of all time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:15:43 PM EDT
The smith. The Xbox will be obsolete and outdated in 3 years. You can have a gun your whole life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:18:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Redmanfms:
If you don't want to buy weapons because of politics, stop buying Rugers, Colts, and Remingtons too.

Fergit, Hell... and BTW, I don't buy traitor Bill's, Kolts (or iColts). Additionally, I don't like the direction Remington is going, but I haven't given up on them yet.
There are manufacturers that have not sold us out yet, and I choose to support those that support our RKBA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:41:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattsd:
Xbox sucks. now with PS2, you can get grand theft auto 3. thats gotta be the greatest game of all time.

i disagree that the Xbox sucks, but Grand Theft Auto 3 is probably one of the most original and best games i have played in years. its actually more entertaining then Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty. MGS2 is better as a rental; you'll beat it in three days or less.

Ghost Recon and Medal of Honor:Allied Assault will appear on the Xbox. though people who own PC's might prefer them on those systems due to keyboard/mouse and add-on's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:43:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Unreconstructed:

Originally Posted By Redmanfms:

Fergit, Hell... and BTW, I don't buy traitor Bill's, Kolts (or iColts). Additionally, I don't like the direction Remington is going, but I haven't given up on them yet.
There are manufacturers that have not sold us out yet, and I choose to support those that support our RKBA.

"vote with your dollars"
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:47:30 PM EDT
Might I also suggest that you look at the Browning buckmark .22. No politics, just a nice pistol that will give a lifetime of enjoyment at a reasonable price. I think I paid $179 at retail for mine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:28:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Libertoon:

Originally Posted By mattsd:

i disagree that the Xbox sucks, but Grand Theft Auto 3 is probably one of the most original and best games i have played in years. its actually more entertaining then Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty. MGS2 is better as a rental; you'll beat it in three days or less.

Ghost Recon and Medal of Honor:Allied Assault will appear on the Xbox. though people who own PC's might prefer them on those systems due to keyboard/mouse and add-on's.

they tried putting rainbow9 on N64, and it was embarassing. they may be able to keep the game(ghost recon) decent on Xbox, but without the unlimited control of a keyboard, and the limitless online mulitplayer support of a PC, it will suffer. not to mention downloadable mods.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:32:44 AM EDT
The 617 can blast that Xbox out anytime.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:06:45 AM EDT
Get the X Box

A.) NEVER BUY SMITH and WESSON!

B.) The X box is a sweet gaming platform, almost as good as a PC!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:16:45 AM EDT
You can never have too many guns. Personally I would rather spend the money upgrading my computer rather than get an x-box, but I just prefer the format and versatility of the PC.

Get the .22, saves you ton on ammo costs and you can apply that money toward an x-box farther down the road this year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:59:46 AM EDT
*** UPDATE ***

I won't be buying either one. On Saturday, I went to my favorite gunstore and they were just putting out a Walther P22 Target on the shelf. I REALLY liked it, and it was half the price of S&W 617. So I bought it !
I figure when I buy a revolver, I'll get a cannon, like a .454 Casull.

Anyway, the Walther is sweet.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2001 12:53:16 PM EDT by az-gunner]
You are taking the wrong approach. Don't rationalize which one you should get, and which one you souldn't. Rationalize why you should get both. Some excuses... er, examples are:
You don't have an X Box, thus you NEED one

You don't have a revolver, thus you NEED one

If you already have a revolver, part II-
You don't have a revolver in that Brand, model,
finish, barrel length or whatever distinguishing feature works, thus you NEED one

If there is a significant other to oppose your NEEDS, explain that you must coordinate rifles and handguns, the same way she coordinates shoes and purses.

All else fails, throw a fit. It's your money and your going to buy what ever you want.
(be sure to include a card, flowers and a nice dinner with this purchase)

Stealth mode:
X Box now
revolver at gun show in 3 weeks

Have fun
Top Top