Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 10:39:39 AM EDT
I Can,t decide if I should buy a Springfield M1A Scout/Squad or Armalite AR-10A4; It will be used for informal target shooting & wildboar hunting (Once in a while).I will be mounting a 4X acog (With BAC) on the receiver, As I have come to love this scope. Also is the barrel on the Springfield M1A Scout/Squad Chrome lined? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.    
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This probably won't help much but I own an Armalite AR-10 A4 Carbine and my next gun purchase will probably be a Springfield  M1A Scout rifle.
Looks like I'm going to be the first to suggest both!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I no longer have my M1A,I traded it after getting my AR-10.I'd say get both but the first one to get would be an AR-10!You won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say go with the M1A. If you want high-caps for the AR10 you're going to have to buy M1A mags anyway, and why buy them THEN pay an extra $20 or so per mag to have them converted? My opinion is that the M1A is a more reliable rifle for field-type shooting than the AR10 is, and more than accurate enough...there isn't any real difference in practical accuracy (absolute accuracy definitely goes to the AR though.)
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My biased oppinion is M1A, got one & love it

There are parts and accessories everywhere for the M1A.

I don't own an AR10, but I have seen numerous reports as to those who own one, like it very much.   so, having said that, I don't really think you could go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
FN FAL
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have (2) M1A's, but I will get a .308 AR, maybe Bushmaster will make one. I would just figure on buying 10 round clips for the AR.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I Can,t decide if I should buy a Springfield M1A Scout/Squad or Armalite AR-10A4; It will be used for informal target shooting & wildboar hunting (Once in a while).I will be mounting a 4X acog (With BAC) on the receiver, As I have come to love this scope. Also is the barrel on the Springfield M1A Scout/Squad Chrome lined? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.    

You make things a little tougher by specifying the M1A1 Scout/Squad.  This rifle, to me at least, is pretty new.
The first thing I would decide on the Scout/Squad is whether or not the scope position on this rifle is acceptable to you - more forward than anything I've ever used.

I have an M1A1 in .243 (yep .243) and a couple of AR-10 (T)'s.
I had a 10A4 but sold it.  I'm embarrased to admit this but there was simply something about the way the 10A4 looked that I didn't like.  Nothing else.
I love both my M1A1 and the AR-10(T) but if I could only have one I would have the AR-10(T).

You "might" consider going used and getting an AR-10(T) for about the same money as an NIB 10A4.

This advice is worth exactly the $.00 you're paying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem but today I solved it by buying the M1A, got the special edition GI stock issue and paid $1140 for it.

Later on, if I feel I made the wrong choice, I guess I will have to but an AR10, geez sure hope to get dissapointed with my M1A   :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Also one other thing to think about is what "evil" feature you want, you can either have thr AR-10 with a pistol grip but no flash hider or the M1A with no pistol grip but with a flash hider. To me I'd take the pistol grip over the hider, but then again thats just me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Also one other thing to think about is what "evil" feature you want, you can either have thr AR-10 with a pistol grip but no flash hider or the M1A with no pistol grip but with a flash hider. To me I'd take the pistol grip over the hider, but then again thats just me.

Actually, you do get both a muzzle break and a pistol grip with each AR-10 purchased! This is not a limited time offer! (Ginsu knives not included)

www.armalite.com

BTW, I love my AR-10A4 Carbine!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
M1A all the way.
I prefer it to my friends AR10.
He just so happens to prefer his AR10 to my M1A though.
He's usually wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
m1a I've had mine for 6 years and not one disapointment. some guy just broke his ar10 bolt over on ak-47.net. buy all the goodies you can afford through springfield armory,they give you the loaded deal and it rocks. enjoy and good shooting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I should add this to the equation:

I had a Colt AR-15, but was left wanting bigger holes. (slab side lower, but who knew what would happen a few years down the road!)

I replaced it with a SA M1A, got the bigger holes, but I didn't fit the rifle very well.
Using it as a training stand-in for qualifying with a M-16 didn't make sense either. Service Rifle competition wasn't going to happen with it for me

I replaced it with an AR-10. Same ergonomics as the M-16 I do have to qualify with, and still get bigger holes downrange. Too bad I can't use it in Service Rifle comp! Guess I'll have to get another .223 AR!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
M1A
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
hk clone for 600-900 if cost is a concern at all

go to the hk91.com boards tho and read up on which clones are the good ones

i think hk is hard to beat...they are as accurate as i cna shoot (which by the way aint nuthin' to brag about) they are extremely reliable in my experience and they eat most any ammo without a hiccup
they are the simplest to disassemble and clean adn simplest in design...not much to go wrong

i own 2 (one real hk and one clone and i shoot the clone) but in all honesty have never shot a springfield..
i did try a real fnfal before i bought my hk but preferred the hk due to simpleness and fit
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
AR10!!  I've only had good experiences with mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have (2) M1A's, but I will get a .308 AR, maybe Bushmaster will make one. I would just figure on buying 10 round clips for the AR.

I made that suggestion to Bushmaster via their web site a few months ago.

I was a bit disappointed with Armalite before the ban here in California as they wouldn't sale AR-10 lowers or other parts. It would have been nice if there was an alternative [e.g.- An Eagle Arms kit or another manufacturer] at the time. As it turned out, I was unable to get one before the ban ....

They could have had another sale but....

Anyway, i've been wanting and am going to get a Springfield M1A soon as I bought mags, etc for it years ago. I guess they'll STILL get my money!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks to all for the opinions. Does anyone know if the barrel on the Springfield M1A Scout/Squad Chrome lined? This is very important to me, I hate cleaning barrels & the chrome is soo much easier to clean!

Also, If I Pick AR-10 16" or 20" barrel?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are going to hunt boar the AR10A4 carbine is handy in the field and plenty accurate. Takeing mine to Texas in Feb. to shoot hogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top