Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2001 5:30:46 PM EDT
I have wanted to buy a Springfield Armory M1A for some time now and the time has come.  I have found a new "Standard" M1A with Walnut stock, not Birch, and the price is $1265.  Birch stock is $1200.00.

1.  Good Price?

2.  Are they accurate?

3.  Should I spend more and get a Nat Match?

Honestly, I guess I will do informal target practice and use it to hunt deer out to about 100 yards or so with iron sights. I got a Bushmaster DCM thinking I could make the local matches but it just has not worked out so thats why I am looking at a Standard model.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  OK but not great.

2.  With irons, it is likely as accurate as you are.

3.  I didn't, especially with the purposes you listed, if I were you, I wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The price is about the going rate, not a great deal but on the other hand your not getting taken for a ride either.  I own both a Standard and National Match, I have to say I enjoy the Standard better.  The gun just feels right and balances good, NM is nose heavy.  If your going to use it for general shooting/hunting get the Standard.  The gun is more than enough for what you want, you'll also not have to lug around the extra weight.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
1. not sure (see below)
2. fairly good
3. see below

I got my SA std M1A back in the 80's.. I love it, it's no match winning performer, but I dont shoot it in matches either!  

The std is accurate enough for what you want.
If you're not an accuracy nut (I am, but I'm not a purist about it! :) lol

Spend the money you save on ammo, you gotta burn a whole mess of ammo outta it (read as you're going to...  :) this thing rocks!

go with the inexpensive wood, buy a composite(fiberglass~) surplus stock (Freds for example) and dont worry about hurting the stock. (btw: Fred's got expensive ones too!)

Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If you look around, you can find a NIB standard M1A for under $1000 with a synthetic stock.  Another $35 or so will get you a good birch stock from Fred's.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

Though a new member to AR15.com (this is my first post!) I've been an M1A shooter for years.

Prices have gone up a bit recently due to demand, but that's a reasonable current price.  If you can find a dealer with stock before recent price increases, you can still get one for around 1K in fiberglass.  

I'd opt for a traditional wood stock if you're aiming for the historically accurate vibe, but I have both and keep the fiberglass stock on most of the time. They are enjoyable to shoot.

In regards to accuracy, the Marines are using the National Match Accurized version (designated the M-21, see html link for pic) in Afghanistan right now,
that should be a pretty good vote of confidence.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2001/images/12/24/top.rifle.ap.jpg
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link active!
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My standard early 80's vintage M1-A is more accurate than I ever dreamed. I put a $10 glass stock on it to save the heavy walnut. The weapon I trained with, I always wanted, I got. Out of the box, open sights, 100 yards, in the X ring, dead center with '69 USGI ammo...a keeper!
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
This summer I bought a Walnut stocked NM and a Birch stocked "collector edition" standard M1A with an unissued surplus GI stock on it.  Since then I have shot the NM out to 300yds with open sights, and the standard to 100 with both open sights and a Springfield scope set-up.  Out of the two, I am most impressed by the standard model.  Using Remington 168gr HPBT match, it printed just under one inch off the bench using open sights.  Last week, I shot some Black Hills 168gr Moly coated BTHPs and printed just under .5 inches off the bench with the scope.

So far, all of my shooting with the NM has been at 300 yards, so I cannot directly compare the performance of the two.  I can't see how much better the NM could do though; and to tell you the truth, I scared as hell that I won't get that expensive assed gun to shoot as well!  I can say that it will print a 4" group at 300 yds from the prone position, just not with me behind the trigger........yet.

If I were you I'd get the standard rifle and leave the NM for those who want to shoot in high power rifle competitions.  Lew Horton Distributing carries the GI surplus parts "collector's" models, and their price was around $980 I think.  If you throw in some accessories to get over that 1K mark, they will ship for free.

What ever you do, get one of these guns.  I put it off for a long time and am sorry that I did.

Saleen
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
1. I paid $1149.00 for the birch stock standard model.

2. I shoot hi-power silhouette with mine, no probs out to 500 meters. Rifle shoots better than I can.

3. I'd buy the standard and build it up from there. I've shot a NM, and they're really nice, but I had to have mine before I could save the extra $$.

At 100 yds. you will hard pressed to outshoot the rifle. I use the portugese .308 in my matches with no prbs. what so ever. Now go get it, and let the fun begin.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the comments, I found a Standard M1A for $1200, might get about $50 knocked off that though, and the dude stated that is was a special run with the GI Birch stock and showed me what looked like an U.S. Ord stamp in the stock.

Can anyone tell me if thats the "tell tale" sign of the GI special issue?
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The "Ord Stamp" on the stock is probably an eagle in a square which is a depot proof mark which indicates that the complete weapon has been inspected and has been approved for issue. Since this would only be on an M-14 Rifle from a government source, all that you would have is the stock from an M-14 which was used to build an M-1A. Government stocks (M-1 or M-14) usually also have a letter "P" in a circle at the front of the pistol grip. This indicates that the complete rifle has been tested (and passed) high pressure proof firing. Again, this means nothing on an M-1A since the barrel and receiver that were proofed are no longer onthat stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless you are going to shoot matches, don't go with the match barrel. My "Hbar M1-A" is pretty heavy. The standard M1-A in a fiberglass stock is MUCH lighter and handy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well folks I got the M1A today and paid $1140, and yes ArmyOrd, it does have the P near the pistol grip although faint.

The stock, from what I have been told is unissed GI that Sprinfield used to make a special run.  Although I am not sure how many there are.

I am stoked as can be and can't wait to hit the sand pit tomorrow!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
horrayy!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both.
I have not noticed enough difference to warrant the extra money.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]
So, one more question now that we have input on standard and NM.  Is the M1A worth the price difference between a standard and a standard "loaded" - for use in non-competitive informal 100yd - 300yd non-scoped target shooting?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, one more question now that we have input on standard and NM.  Is the M1A worth the price difference between a standard and a standard "loaded" - for use in non-competitive informal 100yd - 300yd non-scoped target shooting?

I don't see it's value.
You can buy mags here cheaper. Today for $38, new.
No scope? Then no scope or mount deal for the loaded. Can get cleaning kits anywhere.
What I have learned after I bought mine is that the loaded price wasn't worth the extra cash to me.

Good luck. Keep us posted!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top