Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2001 2:56:41 PM EDT
My pre-ban Oly lower with FN upper and Wilson HBAR gave me "T" total hell yesterday.

This is my first time taking it out and it didn't do worth a ____!

I was using NIW Adverntureline magazines with 28 rounds loaded. I would chamber the first round, pull the trigger, then FTF. The bolt would try to take the round into the chamber, but it would not lift on the "feed ramp?". It would jam the bullet down into the brass and make it look real stumpy. That is not good. Then, sometimes it would get the round halfway into the chamber, then it would want to kinda, bend the round and scrape the crap outta the side of the brass.

I thought that it might have to do something with them being new magazines and spring tensions being "off" but I switched magazines, and it would function better, but not "good." The best results I got was when I used a beat up old Colt 20 rounder. It almost ate everthing.

I am pretty sure it is not a problem with the bolt, but then again, I am not too sure. There is one thing that I have a question about that I can't remember real well. When I am about to pull the bolt out of the bolt carrier, should it be tight at all? I thought it was supposed to move freely. When I have the cam pin installed, it takes a good bit of effort to "cycle" the bolt inside of the carrier. Could this be due to the DMPS 1 piece gas rings?

Somebody please help before I take the gun to a 'smith. I really can't afford to let them tinker with it when it could be something simple.

Oh, and FWIW, I attempted to fire about 250 rounds. I probably had about 40 FTFs with that AR. My other worked pretty well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, I just cleaned the piss outta my carrier assembly and upper. Well, I loaded up one of the mags I was having a problem with, with 20 rounds and hand cycled as fast as I could. No FTF, nor FTE's so, maybe it was just dirt...I dunno. I guess I'll really see when I go to shoot.

Another thing that is odd though, is that the NIW Adventure line mags are EXTREMELY difficult to insert/remove into my preban OLY, but they go right in and out of the Bushy that I have. That makes me wonder too if the gun is outta spec. If so, would OLY replace it as a preban with the normal serial numbers?

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it would help if you spent more than 35 seconds cleaning your weapons...!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Older Oly's had a reputation for tight magazine wells.

Perhaps the mags being tight in the well were not up quite high enough and bullets could not hit the feed ramps well.

I have had problems with certain uppers which would not feed well from the right side of the magazine. A little time with a Dremel tool and doing an M4 type of lowered feed ramp and the barrel and upper receiver would correct this problem
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
 Yep, try it with the standard gas rings. Sometimes that McFarland ring is too tight.
Clean it and lube it real well.
Still, really sounds like a mag related problem.
The only feedramp work I've had to do was on a 7.62X39 upper where the bullets tend to sit lower in the front of the mag.

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks...  The reason those are posted 35 seconds apart is because this was cut and pasted from another forum.  I noticed something when I tested magazines:

The adventure line and the colt are made differently at the top.  Hard to explain, and something that you would probably never notice unless you stacked them on top of one another.  

Also, about the OLY and a tight magwell...well, I agree.  My Bushy lower has no problems with the same mag that is so hard to put into the OLY.  

Thanks for mentioning the gas ring.  That 1-piece deal seems kinda large and tight inside the carrier.  

Check out the pics to see the difference in mags:

glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=64add193e70f859323a98e1635232b9e&postid=484889
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a magazine problem. Had the same trouble with usa mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top