Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 12:10:23 PM EDT
I am considering purchasing a Taurus 617T that comes standard with bbl. porting from the factory. Why Taurus? I like it for the 7-shot capacity.

My question: Does porting present excessive muzzle flash for the shooter? My dealer tells me it does.

If so, then my other option is the 617 MULTI, which has a non-ported titanium bbl. & an aluminum frame. My only question regarding this model is with the aluminum frame: Is AL durable for .357? I've heard it isn't necessarily the best frame material for shooting heavier cartridges. True?

Thanks for all advice given.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Porting makes them louder than hell, but the flash will only bother you in low light.  Check out the S&W Scandiums.  Very light at 12 oz. and they are very durable.  I do believe the 7 shot version is a bit heavier, but that won't make a heck of a difference.  The bonus is it can shoot .357 mags as well as 38's.  Recoil will suck, but you'll never notice if you have to use it for its intended purpose.  If you want to plink, just stick with .38's.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Taurus makes some great revolvers now, but it seems like most of the snubbies are ported.

Porting is not a good feature on a carry gun. When your arm is extended during firing, it is no problem. If you have to fire with the gun tucked back close to you, the hot gasses and ejecta could be thrown right into your face.

Aluminum on a magnum revolver that you will practice with doesn't seem too great, either. Unless you are going to ankle carry, a little more weight is a good thing.

you can get the 617 without the porting. Have your dealer order you one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the standard 85CH, if you like Taurus.  I shot one of the S&W Scandiums, and even with .38 specials I didn't want to fire it again.  The recoil SUCKS!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the Ruger SP101. Its Heavy, and only 5 shots but it is manageble and rugged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top