Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2001 5:05:36 PM EDT
I dropped my brand new Kimber .22 rifle at the range today and managed to put some deep gouges and scratches in the walnut stock.

Does any one have any experience with a gunsmith or wood worker in Northern Virginia that I can trust to fix it up?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes it looks worse than it really is. On gouges and dents try laying a wet piece of cotton cloth over it and then holding a hot iron to that. It should steam some of them out to where they don't look so bad. My condolences, I know it hurts to get a nice rifle banged up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
03shooter's got it right.  I use that to fix my furniture (rigrat throwin toys all over the place).

It really sucks to hack up a good stock, but it's bound to happen if you shoot the rifle.  They can't all look like the rifles in the Leupold catalog
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The hot iron bit works great on dented wood, sometimes almost totally eliminating any damage at all.  Hold the iron firmly against the cloth to push the steam into the wood.  Don’t hold it too long, though, or you may damage the finish.  You may need to do it more than once.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for gouged wood, since some wood has been removed.  An alternative for this is shellac sticks, available from brownells.  However, these take some skill to apply correctly and it’s difficult to get a good color match.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a product called "Tibet Almond Stick" that I've used on scratched woodwork around the house.  Works so well I'm convinced it's voodoo.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's a product called "Tibet Almond Stick" that I've used on scratched woodwork around the house.  Works so well I'm convinced it's voodoo.  

I use to keep my Marlin M60 behind my door and it got drywall all over the stock and these work good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Gravity sux , don't it.

Sorry, couldn't help it,that's what I heard when my new(bought it 3 hours earlier) .22 "fell" off the bench onto the concrete floor. Touched it up but never "fixed" it. The kids shoot it .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top