Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2001 8:03:23 PM EDT
What kind of FN FAL's are recommended?  Inch, metric, DSArms, Entreprise, Century, ArizonaResponseSystems...?   Hope I can get some opinions.  Trying to get price ranges with them too.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Its really best if you build your own. Imbel has kits out now. Interesting! I would build a British L1A1 on an Imbel receiver. DSA has been good to me. Entreprise was bad. Are you building a rifle, carbine, folder, or HB sniper? Had them all, kept the HB sniper. I often regret selling the folder. It had the feel of a 12 guage power with a 20 rnd box, and the same size as my 10/22 on a Butler Creek folder. I used a heavy Israeli barrel for that one without hand guards. I cut the barrel end on a mill to resemble the AK47 muzzle brake including two top ports to control rise. It was really fabulous! Easy to control. The sniper rifle is the whip. I built them at the same time, and it completely took over. .308 is really a bad assault rifle cartridge, and a great marksman cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let overly romantic notions get int the way of you true objectives. For one, the FAL is a MBR for several militaries, but hardly a sniper rifle with 2-3 moa accuracy. Additionally, you have to play the US parts game to make sure you have sufficient US parts to offset 3rd world parts for BATF blessing. Third world parts are okay, but 2 of the US aftermarket parts I used have been recalled.

I started my silly FAL project in August. I have not fired the first round from it since due to legal, safety and reliability issues. Are you sure an AR-15 won't do the job for your?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
DSA Carbine.  No muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
One more useful site:

www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi

A lot depends on your budget.  The rifles from DSArms are well thought of.  If you wish simply to "get started" I'd recommend checking out local firearms shops.  You'll usually find a few inexpensive FALs that would make suitable first rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of FN FAL's are recommended?  Inch, metric, DSArms, Entreprise, Century, ArizonaResponseSystems...?   Hope I can get some opinions.  Trying to get price ranges with them too.  Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------
Generally the "FN's" are thought of as the Belgium FAL's
If I wanted a Belgium gun and could choose only one I would get the model FN 50.00 L.A.R. Match.
This FN will cost you roughly $2000 - $2300 for about a 95% or so gun.

In my opinion next would be the FAL's from DS Arms ranging from maybe $1200 - $1800 - very fine rifles.
Also from DS Arms is their Austrian FAL built on a DS Arms receiver, STG58A (?) carbine or rifle - cost will be around $800 - $900.
The best FAL for the money around - in my opinion.

I would not buy a FAL below STG58A.  Nothing in the $500 - $600 range brings consistent quality and accuracy that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-----------------------------------------------
Generally the "FN's" are thought of as the Belgium FAL's
If I wanted a Belgium gun and could choose only one I would get the model FN 50.00 L.A.R. Match.
This FN will cost you roughly $2000 - $2300 for about a 95% or so gun.

In my opinion next would be the FAL's from DS Arms ranging from maybe $1200 - $1800 - very fine rifles.
Also from DS Arms is their Austrian FAL built on a DS Arms receiver, STG58A (?) carbine or rifle - cost will be around $800 - $900.
The best FAL for the money around - in my opinion.

I would not buy a FAL below STG58A.  Nothing in the $500 - $600 range brings consistent quality and accuracy that I'm aware of.

(Buy only metric FAL's.)
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Do You change the oil in your own car. If you don't you're probably not interested in building a rifle either. So if money is no problem go with a DSA. If you like to tinker with things then I would recommend buying the cheapest fal you can find(new)$399 and an armorers video. That way you can fix or repair any problem you come across and its loads of fun. Any major poblems that a new rifle could have you would have the option of returning it. You could do an awful lot of fixing before you ever got close to $1200.  my .02
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the same boat. I am going to save and get a DSA STG 58. The cheaper century frankenfals are a crap shoot at best. The finish is uneven. I would build my own (like I did for my AR) but I'm too afraid of having one too many import parts making it illegal. Either way go with metric, mags are way cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, the DSA frankenfals are the best of them.  They do a better job refinishing the old parts and seem to have OK US parts.  No, they aren't made to the FN drawings but they're still the best remakes out there.  They aren't normally as accurate as an AR but some are quite good.

Don't bother with the CETME or HK junkers.  The M1As are being made with more US parts and less surplus ones than before.  They can be used in DCM competition.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
But if you do enjoy building things yourself, you'll be in the company of an ever growing number of people. When I first found the FAL forum, I read about more people sending kits to be built by one of 4 or 5 gunsmiths. Just over a year later, almost everyone is building their own. To that end, there's more info than ever to help anyone with their first build. Custom made tools are available as well as plans for creating your own tools. And I have to say that many guys are doing such a good job that it'd be hard to tell it was home made.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Due to the other great things I've heard about them, I'm going to get a DSA FAL, more specifically, the STG58A. It seems to be a killer deal for a nifty rifle. I'm not good enough to build one from parts, actually, I've owned a FAL before, but it was a mega-parts beast and the gas system was horrid, and I didn't keep it very long. I trust the opinions I've heard here and a few other places enough to know that DSA makes a darned good rifle. My question is... what's the actual difference between the Type 1 and Type 2 receivers? The pics aren't that great on DSA's site, and they said that the Type 1 was a more rugged, durable receiver, whereas the the type 2 was an exact copy of the traditional FAL. The stronger Type 1 would be better, right? Looking at the pics online, I couldn't tell any visual difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a picture showing a type II (top) and a type III receiver (middle), and the type I (bottom). Note that the type I and II have extra machining in what is commonly called lightening cuts.

The type II is very similar to the type I except for the extra scallop or cut near the back of the upper receiver. This was added to increase strength in fully automatic fire. For a semi only rifle, this change is merely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Due to the other great things I've heard about them, I'm going to get a DSA FAL, more specifically, the STG58A. It seems to be a killer deal for a nifty rifle. I'm not good enough to build one from parts, actually, I've owned a FAL before, but it was a mega-parts beast and the gas system was horrid, and I didn't keep it very long. I trust the opinions I've heard here and a few other places enough to know that DSA makes a darned good rifle. My question is... what's the actual difference between the Type 1 and Type 2 receivers? The pics aren't that great on DSA's site, and they said that the Type 1 was a more rugged, durable receiver, whereas the the type 2 was an exact copy of the traditional FAL. The stronger Type 1 would be better, right? Looking at the pics online, I couldn't tell any visual difference.

The type1 was before the type2.  The type2 was designed to be stronger supposebly for full auto use.  The type3 is a cheaper to make version, no lightning cuts.  I think any differences in them are cosmetic for all intents and purposes.  DSA are the nicest metrics around but I love the Entreprise inch receiver and prefer the inch over metric FAL.
I would go with the DSA STG58A if it is your first.  You will buy others later.  Its an addiction.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not looking to turn an FN FAL into a sniper rifle but looking for a reliable and semi-accurate battle rifle that may be a rattler but takes a beating if one is given to it.  
Also does anyone know much about IAI, Israel Arms Incorporated out of Houston?  Heard a little good stuff about them.  
Also, is it hard to switch or replace a barrel?  In other words, gunsmith or at home?  Sally Struthers Grad in Gunsmithing required for it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I am in the market for an FAL. After the "abortion" Century L1A1 fiacso I had around 1994, I think I'll stay away from the Century built junkers. From what I gather, Century is now making their own receivers (cast I believe)in inch pattern with Metric mag compatability.  

The DSA STG-58 looks like the way to go bang for the buck wise. For literally $300 more than the typical Century junker, you can have the flawless DSA forged receiver built to Steyer spec and blueprint and the best FAl varient military contract parts possible. Not a bad deal to me for a stock mil spec FAL type varient that you can grow with over time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
The best deal going right now is to get the Imbel metric receiver from FAC and DSA's reparked G1 kit and put it together.
This will be all GI parts at $400 total.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Heres a "junky abortion Century" with -3moa@200 yds.http://www.ehomebook.com/users/ttowntoehead/images/fal.jpg
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Mark Graham at ARS builds an excellent FAL, well worth the money IMO.  One of his 18" carbines might be just the thing!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have serious greenbacks DSA is absolutly the way to go.  Just below them is ENTREPRISE arms, they're not to to shabby either.  Mine is a parts gun built on an Entreprise receiver, and a german G1 kit.  As far as the us parts are concerned for an fal you only need to have 7 US parts because the gun only has 17 of the 20 parts on the list the ATF considers as major componants.  You only have to replace 6 if you don't have a muzzle break.  You can obtain a Us furniture set from TAPCO for something like 40$, a hammer, trigger, sear kit for 40$ I think
and a US made muzzle break for about 20 bones and there's your 7 parts.  With this set up you can use all the surplus mags you want without having to change the followers or floor plates.
If you bought a kit and need a receiver Entreprise are going for 179 until the end of the year.  But if you want to buy an assembled rifle,  go with the DSA!

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Gunny51.....that is SOME junker and you are lucky your money paid off! My junker would not feed or fire enough to even post a group at 10 feet let alone 200 yards!

You better hope Century doesn't see your post. They may want it back and "fix" it for you. :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top