Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 8:36:26 PM EDT
For the first time in my life I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1911 style pistol.

Without the need for a debate, or attempts to change my mind to a cheaper pistol, I realy want to get the very finest combat ready 1911 available. I'm far less concerned with price as I am with owning the finest, most reliable, well built 1911 around.

The poll above lists my top considerations. If I've left out a gun that is of the same quality or better, please feel free to write it in and tell me about it.

Thanks everyone, I ask because I respect the opinions of our most experienced members. Lots of 1911 fans out there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If you aren't that concerned with price buy a complete custom gun. There are lots of custom builders, Kings, Tussey, Dane Burns, Heinie, Dawson Precision, etc. You can get exactly what you want and often it won't be much more (if any) than the guns you named.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
well......Ihave a NOVAK custom P14 that is top notch........I use it for IDPA......but my carry gun is a Kimber ultra carry.......easy to carry and quite accurate and reliable.....I voted for the kimber............

side note......wilsons, I find to be overated.

edited for spelling....hey its early
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Larry Vickers get's my vote

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a pistol that you don't have to wait forever for, get a Wilson CQB.
It's the best pistol I've ever handled. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty (even thought it has no warranty).
The Kimber only has a 1 year warranty. The SA's have a lifetime warranty also, but to get their best pistol, you are not far off of a Wilson CQB.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised that the Les Baer Monolith Commanche hasn't gotten any votes. It looks like one hell of a gun.

This 1911 that I'm looking in to is definately for self defense purposes only. Accuracy is obviously important, but I'm not going to be entering competitions with it.....unless its the life and death sort.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt Goverment Model Series 80 stainless, pre "enhanced". Plus $600.00 (parts & labor) to Terry Tussey. Can't be beat!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The new CQB's come with an integral light mount on the dust cover. Looks pretty sweet, IMO.
My next pistol will be a Compact CQB!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to ask my question on your thread...

Is the Springfield TRP Operator a hi-cap weapon?  I thought it was single stack.  Can anyone clarify for me.  I like the TRP Op, but if there is a hi-cap model, I like it even more.  If there is a hi-cap, are there true pre-ban mags it can use, or are they double-stack 10-rounders?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Another question out of place. I apolgize.

Anyone aware of anyone selling an 80% STI/SVI double stack race gun frame?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Wilson Protector Stainless
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
With respect due Monty Brewster, NONE OF THE ABOVE.

H&K USP series. No fancy schmancy smithing needed, just add rounds and get to work.

I know Juggernaut mentioned it already, but as all us HK owners and those who've done the comparisons would most likely agree, it simply cannot be mentioned enough.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I can appreciate the votes for the USP series. I own 2 already.

This is purely a 1911 question.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
First of all...any Larry Vickers gun SHOULD be the top.  But he's not on the list.

Second, Les Baer SHOULD BE second in votes...but I wouldn't have picked the Monolith.  Something more like the Premier 2, Concealed Carry, or Thunder Ranch Special.

Third, Springfield SHOULD BE third place.

As for Kimber, I've never heard of any SWAT, Federal Law Enforcement, or US Spec Forces use it at all...it's not made for combat, it's made for competition/paper punching.

As for the Stayer (Steyr?), I know nothing about them...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Ditto cigardad & Tailgate: First of all...any Larry Vickers gun SHOULD be the top. But he's not on the list.

Also I know their not made anymore but my Detonics Combat Master didn't get its' name for nuthin', they were (can't say for sure nowdays w/ all the new choices) the fastest cycling 45acps ever in their day.

My 2cents,
Mike

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I've heard a lot of good things, in my limited experience with 1911's, about the Springfield TRP series and especially the Wilsons.

What I was wondering was if anyone had any info on the Les Baer Monolith Commanche? I've seen one up close and it looks really beautiful. Anyone know how they stack up with the others?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I own everyone of the 1911's that you have listed as well as many others. The pistol with the best overall quality is the Strayer Voigt that you have listed. John

I'm a little surprised that the Strayer's weren't voted for much either. I've heard that they're also exceptional pistols.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Of the guns you listed my top choice would be the Wilson Combat CQB. However, you should take a long look at Les Baers TR Specials. The CQB is a fine weapon but I can't get over paying $1700 for a gun that still has an MIM hammer and sear. Check out the TR Special, for $1600 they are very hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
... I don't see it there. Go build it yourself off a steel full sized government hi-cap frame.

... You'll have much more pride in it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I own everyone of the 1911's that you have listed as well as many others. The pistol with the best overall quality is the Strayer Voigt that you have listed. Another 1911 style that you may want to consider is a S.T.I. out of Georgetown TX. they make a very affordable yet very high quality pistol it is called the Trojan. Hope that helps you.
John

Damn, I live right close to Georgetown and I never heard of them!  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you looked at Para Ordnance Limited Series pistols or their new smaller LDAs(P12, Para Companion)? They`re nice guns that come with every thing you should need.HTH
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
... I don't see it there. Go build it yourself off a steel full sized government hi-cap frame.

... You'll have much more pride in it.

Never saw a govt. hi-cap frame.  Only Para and STI. I think either Les Baer or Ed Brown makes a custom based on the P.O. frame. I have a stock Para P1445 that has been great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Is the Springfield TRP Operator a hi-cap weapon?  

TRP Operator is a single stack weapon only.  This will be my 45 buy for year 2002.  for about 1100 it is not a bad choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top