Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2001 2:08:07 PM EDT
Is emptying out a 30rd mag in 10 seconds worse than taking 5 minutes? I always thought 30rds was 30rds whether it was fast or slow. Someone told me it wears out the bore faster. Seems like every time I go shoot I digress into just blasting away w/ the AR and AK. I always let them cool in between bursts of aggression though. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:10:47 PM EDT
Look at it this way:
Friction (bullets) cause heat. Heat will dissipate, in time. However, if you rapid fire a full mag, the friction just builds more heat before it can dissipate. As the metal heats, it expands, causing more friction within the bore. Friction also causes erosion, and there you have it.

I'm not saying that it's not fun, but do it with a cheap upper (55gr in 1/12) and you won't feel the pain as much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:23:25 PM EDT
as the barrel heats up, the throat (where the chamber meets the bore) is more susceptible to erosion.

throat erosion degrades accuracy.

if any of this concerns you, have a spare upper with a barrel you can abuse for rapid fire fun.

otherwise, yes, you will wear out your barrel faster doing that.<g>
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:56:20 PM EDT
Most of the heat in the chamber is due to the temperature of the gas created by burned powder. The Hot Gases under intense pressure (for the .223 it is around 50,000 cup) is acidic. And as a result the gas errodes the metal. The hotter the temperatures the greater rate of erosion that will occur in the barrel's throat.

So..to put it mildly..is rapid fire bad for barrels ? Yes. Rapid fire will cause the barrel to have a higher temperature and thus "burn" out faster.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:46:01 PM EDT
The hot gases are erosive in nature, since they are often above the melting point of steel, but I don't think they are "acidic."
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:44:01 PM EDT
The answer is yes, but Do it!, enjoy your weapon, barrels are easily replaced. Shoot that thing like a video game, I do, Its fun to play "gooks are in the wire"

It doesnt wear the bore like it does the throat. The throat is the little area that the bullet jumps to the where the lands start up. Each time you shoot the throat gets longer the faster you shoot the faster it erodes and becomes longer. The more it erodes the faster it will erode.
ie. like it might take 4 years to erode half way, but it will take 2 years to do the other half.
GG
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:43:06 AM EDT
Many a GI's are issued warnings about actually firing their guns in combat as not to wear it out...

Shoot, fix as needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:06:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hube1236:
Many a GI's are issued warnings about actually firing their guns in combat as not to wear it out...

Shoot, fix as needed.

That was funny
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:03:30 PM EDT
Look, the AR-15/M-16 was originally a combat weapon. If you have a Krieger match barrel, I'd be concerned how I treated it. But your run of the mill chrome-moly or chrome lined barrel will last a long time. I have a 1 in 7 Colt HBAR that has over 2000 rounds through it. It has been used and abused and still shoots like it did when new (not very good).
Top Top