Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 12:11:34 PM EDT
Anybody here know about Dan Wesson pistols?

Accuracy?

Quality?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.

model 15 in 357.
I have a 2 1/2 inch and 6 inch barrel.
First gun I ever bought and I still have it.

Had it for over 10 years.

Great gun.

Only bad thing is parts are a bitch to find.
Hope this helps

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 15-2VH, the 8" .357.

Bought it in '81 or so, $219 out the door.

First handgun I've ever owned, I'll never sell it.

Very accurate, but sometime between now and then QC went to hell in a handbasket, they make a quality product now.

Somebody else may know better which years to avoid.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My first revolver was a model 715 (stainless) 8" barrelled .357. Well made and very accurate. The interchangeable barrel system is good and contributes to its renowned accuracy. It's been described as having the barrel in traction. Eliminates barrel flex. DW revolvers are also very strong and lock up at the front of the crane as well as the back of the cylinder.

Some time ago, DW Arms changed hands and became Wesson Arms. At this point, I purchased a fixed 5" model 15. It's still very accurate but fit/finish wasn't up to the first ones (1st. Gen).

I recently saw and handled the latest version of Dan Wesson Arms, now located in Norwich, NY. This thing is beautiful. Superb fit/finish and they use an etching method that looks awesome. Another forum member spoke to a DW rep who was very proud of this etching method. I was so taken with it, I ordered another one.

In short, they're big, brute strong revolvers with exceptional accuracy. But you want to stick with the 1st. or 3rd. generation models.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a .445 SuperMag.  It shoots outstanding.  Even better groups than my old Freedom Arms .454 Casull.  The DW also stays in one piece whereas the Freedom Arms tore itself apart on many occasions.  Finally had enough and sold the Freedom Arms.....keeping the .445 SuperMag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Wadman

How can you tell what generation your pistol is?

thanks

akira
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If it says "Dan Wesson Arms, Monson, Mass." it's a 1st gen. When they were sold, the new owners renamed it "Wesson Firearms, Palmer, Mass." When it was again sold, the old name "Dan Wesson" was brought back but the company now resides in Norwich, NY.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Looks like i have a 1st gen.  whoo hooo
It has a very low serial number too.

thanks Wadman

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an original M744VH8 Revolver which is in fact all that Dan Wesson made at the time.
A PISTOL as you are calling it,is a semi auto handgun,and not a REVOLVER.
They do now make 1911 clones although I haven't seen one other than in a magazine.

I have been pleased with the quality and performance of mine but as stated if you do need parts they will most likely be factory.
Not going to find many aftermarket parts or accessories.
The company does stand behind it's product from my experience in the past.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Akira,

You can buy currently manufactured barrels and shrouds if you want to change the length of your barrel or the shroud profile (cut back underlog, slotted, etc.). A Dan Wesson rep assured me that all currently produced parts are backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a .445 8"barrel with ported shroud for shooting IHMSA just got it not to long ago, heck of a deal it was barely used.  Very accurate plenty of energy at 200 meters with a Hornady 240gSIL.  I believe it is a first gen the place they guy bought it from was out of business for about 8 or 10 years.

If you get a Supermag, you will want to reload for it if you plan on shooting it much.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top