Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 11:04:34 AM EDT
Where do I look on an AR barrel to find the twist rate. Im looking at buying a Bushmaster pre-ban upper and I want make sure it's 1in9. TIA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about 20" barrels, but on the A2 Sporter from Colt it is printed on the top of the barrel between the front sight and the flash hider.  "5.56 NATO 1/7"  I think that is what it says.

Chida66
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Stamped on top of barrel ahead of front sight like this: www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you already know this, but if the barrel’s not marked, you can always determine the twist with a cleaning rod.

Simply run a cleaning rod with a snug patch or bore brush through the barrel.  (Note that the rod rotates due to the rifling.)  Then reverse direction and pull the patch or bore brush back into the barrel a few inches and stop.  Use a felt tip to put a small mark on the rod where it projects from either the muzzle or end of the upper, depending on which way you’re going.  Continue pulling the rod out.  When the mark on the rod has made one complete revolution, stop.  Then measure the distance in inches from the mark’s present location to the muzzle or upper (wherever the mark was first made).  That’s the twist.

In other words, you’re simply measuring how far the cleaning rod travels down the bore when it makes one revolution.

Note:  While it’s not a big deal for a one-time test, an AR should generally be cleaned from the breech end.  Also, while you can do it with a patch, never try to reverse a bore brush in a barrel – always run it completely through and then reverse it.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I really appiciate your help. That's the last piece in the puzzle hopefully now I'll have my first AR soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top