Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 3:07:02 PM EDT
I need to get some match ammo to see what an FN-FAL will do -- only tried surplus so far and got 2" groups -- quite pleased but I want to see what the ole girl is capable of.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite is Federal Gold Medal Match - 168gr BTHP

It shoots like a dream thru my PSS.

Crap...I meant Federal...not winchester
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally like the Federal 168 gr. BTHP, but the winchester works pretty damn good, too. So far I have had the best reuslts with the Federal, in my M1A. 2" groups don't sound too bad with an FAL, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Home rolled.

Seirra 168 grnrs. V V N150 or IMR 4895 powder and then work up to the best accuracy and then start all over with bullet seating depth.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree, Federal 308M is the perimer 308 match ammo available commercially.  This ammo is widely used by the LE community in the States.  Where as our military uses the match ammo produced by Lake city.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi HiCapMag,

I'd have to agree, Federal makes great match ammo: my AR-10TLW may do a tad better with the 175 grain rather than the 168 grain.

But you may get equally good results in your FN-FAL with other types of less expensive match ammo, depending on how your gun is set-up. You may also consider Black Hills 168 grain ± Moly. But even my AR-10A2 seemed to shoot more precisely with the high-priced Federal. My FN-FAL has never tasted any match ammo, but I'd concur with your observations, they do just fine with surplus ammo. You may want to check with the FAL files message boards, to see what the wisdom is there:

http://www.L1A1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi

and

http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/wwwboard/
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top