Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 11:07:41 AM EDT

Well since I got a new rifle, I'd like to polish it up a bit. The metal parts I think I can handle. But I was wondering if somebody could recommend an oil or polish of some sort for a wood stock. This is a pretty expensive rifle so I want make sure not to damage, stain, or alter the stock in anyway. Anybody know of anything that would be good to shine this thing with?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If the finish is bare wood, you can't go wrong with Linseed oil.  Go to home depot and get yourself the boiled linseed oil for 7 bucks.  This is what I use for my Springfield Armory M1A rifle.  

BTW this is how the Marine Corps took care of woodenn stocks for the 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, and M14.

Max
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Boiled linseed oil.. use the heel of your hand, rub. A lot.. Repeat until the wood looks good, or your hands achieve "that polished wood glow".. Finish with lint free cheesecloth..

Then each time you get it warm, it will sweat...

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont Sand It!!!!!

Real Tung or Danish Oil

Formby Tung Oil Low Gloss (higher gloss than straight Tung)
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
My stock has a cheekpiece.  Is it OK to get tung in cheek?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Brownell's offers gun stock rubbing compounds specifically for polishing gun stocks.  However, only a complete re-finish will remove the deep scratches and dings (those that go through the original clear coat).  My personal favorite is boiled linseed for a finish (a low gloss water proof finish). However, there are several products that will give more gloss and depth to your finish if that's what you're looking for.  Check out this site for additional info on stock refinishing - it should answer all of your questions:

riflestocks.tripod.com/
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]
when I was kid my step dad always used Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish available at just about any grocery store/wally world etc.a clean terry cloth rag of sorts an rub away.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The chief virtue of boiled linseed oil is that it is cheap and easy to apply.  It isn't an ideal finish, though.  It's permeable to water vapor and oils, and it attracts dirt.

Tung oil is a tougher finish and is just as easy to apply.  It can be hand-rubbed in the same manner as BLO, or even cut with BLO/paint thinner to achieve the desired consistency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top