Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2001 10:14:09 AM EDT
I'd like a a Garand (not Century, please ;-)

I have an M1A w/a chrome-lined bbl. I believe the original WWII Garands were not (and they were .30-06).

Are there any Garands out there w/chrome-lined barrels?  I'm willing to accept an "old" rifle
w/new, quality, replacement parts... as long as the barrel's new, and chromed...

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Garands did not have chrome lined barrels.  The only part of the barrel that was chromed was a small area around the gas port on the outside of the barrel.

There may be commercial .308 barrels that are chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
my national match garand is a douglas barreled .308.....not chromed....non chromed is more accurate! and eod guy is correct, mil spec garand barrels are not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody ever see a Breda 308 with chrome?
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanx for the info, guys.  I think they weren't chroming Garands then (WWII era) due to cost/technology - and perhaps they didn't recognize its importance. They did, though, when the M14 came about!

Sooo, does anyone know if there are aftermarket chromed bbls for the Garand?

I'm pretty hung up on chrome linings - far far easier to clean and longer-lasting.

Accuracy? FN's new sniper (bolt) rifle is chromed - and it's already acquiring a reputation as an out-of-the-box tack-driver. Chroming may slightly reduce accuracy, true - but I'd betcha top-grade chromed bbls are better than std unlined bbls.  And the difference is probably less than an avg or even good shooter will notice, using noncustom ammo.

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Bill, you're in the SF area aren't you? Drop a dime and call David Cox at World of Warriors in the city of Orange, here in SoCal. If anyone knows, he will. He rebarreled my friends Garand and replaced the rear sight on mine. He's probably the best Garand expert around here.

(714) 637-0637

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top