Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 2:47:09 PM EDT
Hello. I want to start stocking up on shells for my AR, and was wandering what type will work in it? I do not know if the hollow points will work in it, or what types of shells to avoid, so it does not jam. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. -- tim
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Slop,
this isn't much advice but buy some minimum quantities and shootem.

Find out the twist rate of your barrel as that will determine the correct bullet weight you should use.  May be stamped on your barrel - something like 1:9 or 1:11, etc.
The slower the twist, the higher numbers, the lighter the bullet.
Fast twist barrels 1:7, 1:8, etc. will stabilize a heavier bullet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello. I want to start stocking up on shells for my AR, and was wandering what type will work in it? I do not know if the hollow points will work in it, or what types of shells to avoid, so it does not jam. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. -- tim

right now I would stock up on south africa battle packs.
GG
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So is it Ok to use the hollow points in autoloaders? And I have heard many good things about the SA ammo. Is it going to be hard to find soon?  --tim
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
..."shells"? ..."hollow points in autoloaders"?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sloppy...go to the Ammunition Forum for answers.  Read the FAQ's first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Shells..Why Ronzoni of course
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shells..Why Ronzoni of course

Ronzoni! Man, that's expensive. I prefer store brand, tastes the same but cheaper!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, sorry about sounding like a dumbass. It is my first rifle. Maybe I should just read longer before posting questions like this. Shells...what a dumbass!  --Tim
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
thats allright. at least you didnt come off like Jander.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Shells, bullets, Hell you know what he is talking about, give him a break for Christs sake!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#12]
sloppyfoos,

Welcome aboard, and don't mind the comedians.  They need someway to practice their stand-up acts, as they all still have their day jobs.  

I would recommend buying some battlepacks of South African surplus PMP.  It is 55 gr FMJ as I recall, and shoots well in almost any AR, and is relatively cheap.  I use it and have had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
sloppyfoos,

Welcome on board.  There are 3 kinds of ammo that you should concern yourself with :

1- SHTF ammo, the ammo that you go into combat with and that your life depend on it.

2- Practice ammo, also called plinking ammo.  Ammo that is cheap and decent for your shooting practice or pleasure.

3- Ammo that you should avoid.

Most of us here like the following:

For #1 SHTF ammo, we go with the Military surplus i.e M193, M855 either by IMI, LC or Winchester Q3131A. For me I had IMI and Winchester Q3131A.

For #2 practice ammo, SA, Spanish SS109, PMC or Sometime Some South American or Malaysian are OK. They are cheap but then you got to clean your rifle real good after the shoot.

For #3 one word: WOLF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top