Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2001 9:56:26 AM EDT
Just came up with a small little mechanical device that makes my sight much easier to use.  I really think this thing would sell.  Whom does one contact to pitch the idea.  Would it be a good idea to go directly to the manufacturer?  A patent seems like a big headache.  Any suggestions?  Bybon
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a good idea, then you'd want a patent. Without it, ANYONE could buy one, duplicate it and sell it under their own name.

Edited for an after thought:

Worse yet, they could patent the idea and sue you/complete lock you out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Vinnie,   Yea, I guess I already knew the answer.  If have any more thoughts on the subject, I would like to hear.  Bybon
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just came up with a small little mechanical device that makes my sight much easier to use.  I really think this thing would sell.  Whom does one contact to pitch the idea.  Would it be a good idea to go directly to the manufacturer?  A patent seems like a big headache.  Any suggestions?  Bybon

If you really think it has merit, DO NOT show it to anybody, especially a manufacturer, until after you have filed for a patent.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a manufacturers rep and am almost done making my product. Do what I am doing, make it yourself. Find reps like me that work on commission, that way you have a sales force for free (until of course they sell something). Get a patent pending. That way a copy cat will not know what is patentable ane will not try to dupe it because he will not know if he is violating your patentable feature.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What Dale said...while the patent office is reviewing your application, the detailed information on your patent is not public.

I have been successful in the past adding claims ( a single patent can have a multitude of claims ) that are somewhat on the edge...to the point the patent office will ask for additional clarification several times.   The patent office being a govmt entity, several requests for clarification can run for 2-3 years.   In the mean time, your competition does not know exactly what is going to be granted a patent...therefore you get a 2-3 year head start in the market before you are issued a patent (and it is made public).   Keep in mind the patent date is retroactive to the date you first filed!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Very helpful information gentlemen.  Will the patent pending phase be as expensive as getting a full blown patent itself?  Put another way, how much will it cost me to take advantage of the patent pending procedure?   Thanks  bybon
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Call me a sneeky bastad, but I would put patent pending on it without even trying to get a patent. Check for yourself but I think a pantent pending lasts for seven years. You also might want to consider a copyright on the design. If the products design is fundamental to the application they can't make it without infringing on your copyright. I don't know how much a patent costs, but I know it ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't really matter if its granted a patent or patent pending.  Once its patented, it becomes public knowledge, but its still protected (so no one can copy your invention for the life of the patent).  If its patent pending, the invention isn't public, but the patent is retroactive to the date of filing so between the time its made public but protected, and the time its not disclosed, you don't gain any more time.  Patents are good for 20 years.

As far as copyright goes, any element that is functional is not copyrightable.

If you're interested, I know a good patent attorney in Boston (actually a good friend from law school and a newbie gun enthusiast)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top