Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2001 10:44:50 PM EDT
I can get a good deal on a Taurus PT145 and like the 10 + 1 capacity as opposed to only 6 + 1 for other compact 45's. I have heard the trigger pull is not so great on the pt 111's , 140's, etc, but didn't know if this was any better.

It will be used mostly for concealed carry. I have a el cheapo Kel Tec 9mm, but am looking to upgrade a little bit in quality and caliber. Plus it would be nice to have two compact autos.
The KelTec is fine, worth every penny of its $200, but think I would like to have something like the PT 145 in addition.

Maybe I just wanna buy a gun though, who knows.

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If your going to carry this gun to save your butt and plan on firing it often at the range to get proficient with it, etc., you better buy 2 of them....(one to test fire and carry, one to shoot till it falls apart)
Taurus is ok for plinking but they are still one step above a kel-tec and in my opinion not quality autos. I had a PT908 and a PT 92 Both regreted buys. Loose as all hell not very accurate and just had the general feeling of junk to me. Buy a SIG or an HK or if cost is a factor buy a CZ they are great for the money!

John
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I jad a PT101 years ago that was pretty nice. I have also had a few of their revolvers and I was happy with them. Since I had a good track record with Taurus I decided to buy a PT140. That thing was a piece of SHIT! The trigger was heavy and gritty. I put 10 rounds through it (4 were light primer strikes that wouldn't fire even after second strikes) and decided that I didn't like it. I hear lots of complaints about the 111 and 140 but I have heard good reviews about the 145. I would definitely try before buying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for a great compact .45, get a Glock 30. There are some who don't like Glocks, but once you get it thru your head not to put anything in a pocket with it, you'll be just fine. If your hands don't accomodate a double stack, try the single. The 30 will give you 10 rds. in a reliable, accurate, and durable package. Or just buy a compact 1911. Even a cheap one can be made tuned to be accurate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]

I do like the Glock 30, but right now I don't think it is worth the 50% more pricetag yet. I am a very soon to be graduated college student who hasn't yet landed his good job. But when I do, I fully intend to follow the law here that says I must by one gun a month, as I have been slipping up here recently.
So unless I hear alot of bad reviews for the 145, I might have to go ahead and try it out. I don't know anyone who has one yet being that it is a rather new model, so I wouldn't be able to try anybody's out as bunghole suggested. But if I really really don't like it, i can always sell it at the local overpriced gun shop around here, but would hope it wouldn't come to that.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a PT111 that I carry and used to shoot a lot. Great gun: small, light, reasonably accurate. However, it fell apart. First the takedown pin broke. Sent it back for free replacement. Then the plastic pins holding the frame to the reciever broke. Had to send the whole pistol back to Taurus. Seven weeks later I got back and it works OK now. I dont shoot it nearly as often. Only once a month to stay current.
Taurus never offered any explanation despite my accompanying letters of complaint.
I have a Glock19 on order.
BP
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Save your money and put it towards a Kahr P40 or Glock.  Either of these is a fine choice.

I'm not going to use the old "is your life worth more than $250?" line, as I understand folks tend to buy what they can afford.

However, a wise man once said, "a piece of sh*t gun is a headache to all, while a good gun is a thing of joy forever."

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, Ok. It doesn't look like it took much to convince me, but I think I will look at getting a Glock 30 instead. I may as well go ahead and upgrade all the way. It can be a graduation present for myself. I didn't look at glocks that much and didn't know there was a 10 shot glock 45 compact, I thought there was only the 36.
As for the 30, is it 9 + 1 or 10 + 1 or does it just matter what kinda clip you have (grip extensions).
Does anybody have some pics of their 30's maybe showing the difference and thoughts on using a grip extension. That picture I posted above was a pic of a 26 off the website they used on their 30 page.
Oh yeah, alomost forgot. What do y'all think of the night sights for it. Yea/Nay...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally know 3 people who have junked these 145's over the polymer pins breaking. You're making the right move to the G30, I've carried one for about two years and I'd stake my life on it any day of the week.

As to the accessories you mention, I've shot with both the Pearce and Scherer extensions, and personally prefer the Pearce.. YMMV. With regard to night sights, I won't own a handgun without them. They really do make their presence know when you need them.

Have fun with your purchase!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As for the 30, is it 9 + 1 or 10 + 1 or does it just matter what kinda clip you have (grip extensions).

Might matter what MAGAZINEyou use.  

I'm Evil.
NSF
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd personally say no thanx to the Taurus.

Glock has the dick for dolly.

N/S yes.

Gotta ask Aerrin though

They really do make their presence know when you need them

umm... what?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Aerrin is refering to "flashing" the gun to scare someone or something like that.  Maybe forgot the "N" on the word "known".   Oh well, you should proofread your posts before hand.  I still get emails from people about the time I put this up on the trade boards:

For trade:  1 buttsock sans buttpad

NSF
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Three Words for you, Glock, Beretta, H&K, or Some good quality 1911.  Okay that was more, but with these you will not go wrong.

I have a Beretta .40S&W Elite with Brigadier Slide.  Actaully based on a 96 Model.   Nice Handgun, not too heavy, sturdy as hell, Very Solid Feeling to it. A little Large for CCW but For keeping in the House it is magnificent. OH yeah and very well balanced.  I looked at H&K but without it being loaded it was way too top heavy and the problem would reappear as you shot rounds out of it.  Just didn't care for it at all. I will stick with Beretta , if I buy another one one day I might try a glock. Perhaps a .45ACP model.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys really know how to make someone feel good!
I'll be picking up my Glock 30 on Monday! This will be my first Glock. When I was looking for another handgun, I went to our local indoor range and rented some of the size and caliber (or  close to it) that I was considering. Although they only had the Glock 26 or 27, I found out I liked the fit to my hand. I knew I really wanted  another .45, so the 30 became my choice.
Doc, if you have a chance, try and shoot some. Some folks like the 36, but I don't need that slim a grip and wanted the higher cap mag.
One more thing, I couldn't wait so I paid a bit higher price for mine buying it locally. You can get a great price on a new one from Costa Arms at: [email protected]
The lowest price around here is $615, while Costa offered one for $540.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
For a short write-up on the G30, visit my page at http://members.aol.com/kinduj/modern.htm.

There is a guy on rec.guns who has been trying to sell his G30 for several months now.  Seem to recall it has night sights and some other tweaks.  He's wanting $499 for it last I saw.  Search on Google in rec.guns for "Jim Lake".
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are getting ready to graduate and expect to be getting a good paying job I would wait until you have the money to buy one of the better pistols - - Glock, SIG, Kimber, etc. If you buy the cheaper gun now you may regret it later.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Might matter what MAGAZINEyou use.  

I'm Evil.
NSF

I said CLIP dammit,

As to what Aerrin said about making their presence known, I think he meant about the night sights and the SHOOTER being able to see them

I'm with you WSmac, I want another 45 too. I was turned away from the 36 because it only had 6+1 capacity, but then I read about the 30. The "slim" 36 is only .14" slimmer according to the glock specs too, which I don't think is worth 4 rounds. The reason I was originally interested in the pT 145 is because it held 10+1.

Nice write up ken, I borrowed the pic off the page. Yeah I should be graduating in a week or so, I guess it's next week actually. So the money will soon be more available. As for regreting the 145, I wouldn't say that, you can never have too many guns. But I am definitely set on the Glock now. I might even still end up getting the Taurus when I am crunched on what gun to buy a particular month.

No need to look elsewhere for anything, our family business has an FFL. I am gonna stop by the local gunshow this weekend and check out the g30, make sure I like it and see about getting night sights for one.

What are y'alls suggestions for night sights. How are factory night sights, or should I get others to put on there? I have been wanting night sights for one of my pistols, and since this looks like it will be a main carry gun, I my as well get them on here.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
What are y'alls suggestions for night sights.

Everyone has an opinion. Mine:

PTs blow - I am sending back a set as we speak.

Ashley - have a set on my AR and on my Vang Comp - the tritium seems to be of the highest quality (read bright)

Trijicon - have these on two other pistols - this is my preference.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't care for the Double Action Only (DOA) on the PT models. The trigger pull is also very long and heavy. The only thing that I did like about it was the lock on the side, but it didn't get used very much because I sold it 2 days after shooting it for the first time. I hated it. I will probably never buy anything other than a glock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
You won't regret buying the G30! As for night sights, mine has Meprolites. Get a good kydex holster too (I use the Bladetech IWB). There are two different mags available for the 30, as I understand it, 9+1 and 10+1. I use 10+1 mags, and the extra length gives me a little more to hang on to. Someday, you'll be handing it down to your offspring.....

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the 26 and love it..great lil weapon...It was a bit small in my hand but with the magazine add-on(like pic above) it is a perfect fit...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Go visit glocktalk.com  It is more than you will want to know about Glocking....
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Another thing to consider is depreciation of a gun. If you bought a Taurus, then decide to sell it, you most likely won't get a lot of takers and therefore will have to sell it for a lot less than you paid. I think Glocks, on the other hand, hold their value very well and are just more in demand than some other brands. I have heard VERY good things about the 30 (and have considered either the 30 or 36 myself for a .45). Good luck in your choice!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Regarding your possibly buying the Taurus at a future date:

You're right, you can never have too many guns, but buying a known POS is something you will likely regret.  There are too many good guns out there to spend your hard-earned buck on for you to have to buy crap.  Just trying to save you a little pain.

Then again, maybe this is a lesson everyone has to learn for themselves in the beginning.  Nobody could talk me out of buying a Tec-9 when I was getting into pistols.  Soon after I bought it, I wondered why I'd wanted it, since it was such a piece of junk.  Luckily I ended up getting my money back out of it.

Edited to add my opinion of night sights.  I own  several: PT, Meprolight, Trijicon, and Ashley's.  The PT's seem OK but dimmer than the Mepro's and Triji's.  I do prefer the Mepros because they have orange rear and green front.  The Ashley sight is good except I find myself wishing for a rear reference point (only the front sight is tritium).  Then again on my little Kahr K40 I suppose it doesn't matter much.  I'd avoid the PT's because they are just a little too cheap.  Any of the others are fine, it just depends on the configuration you want.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#25]
If for some reason you don't find the G30 a good fit for your hand, try a G23. A .40 isn't a .45 but you'll get Glock quality and characteristics, exceptional stopping power, (for a handgun) and a feel that will work for you. My $$ is where my mouthis, proud owner and carrier of G22,23,27,and 30. Found a 24, but my new AR15 upper got in the way of that purchase.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#26]
o/~ I wanna glock around the clock tonight,.. o/~
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey Cat!
I do Glock around the clock. 1 for the house, 1 for the car, 1 for carry, except in a bar. 1 for the hunt, 1 chasing front, 1 on the way to work, in case of a felonious jerk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top