Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 6:54:27 PM EDT
I looking for any information on PWA (Pac-West Arms) hailing out of Milan, IL .  They manufactor, or atleast did, AR15 rifles but I have been hitting dead end after dead end trying to get some background on them.  There is a possibility they were bought out by Pheonix Arms but that is as of yet unsubstantiated.  Can anybody help?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have a PWA/Colt back in 91 ser# 07XX. I'm told PWA only made lowers. I've also heard that Rock River Arms bought them out. My opinion is that PWA lowers are as good as the ABC's(Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt).
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
To my knowledge they only made lowers. I have one that I built a few weeks before the Sep '94 ban. Used a kit that was converted from M16 parts and a Wilson barrel. Good match up with the upper receiver. It will shoot sub MOA all day with good ammo. IMO the lowers they made are as good as any other I have seen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two PWA receivers that I like as well as any other brand that I own.  I'm always on the look-out for these when I am at the gun shows because I have had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a pwa lower built into a gun. Great lower.. They have been bought out by RRA. Their lowers are very good pieces for the price.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for everything so far;  I bought my AR (complete) last year under the assumption the entire rifle was manufactored by PWA.  I've never had a problem w/ it;  16" hvy barrel  W/carry handle - commits nice tight groups w/ zero malfunctions.  The price was what got me... $700 out the door 'brand new' w/ a Smith Muzzle Brake (post ban) and a 30 round mag. (one of those Israeli Orlites).

'Just looking for some info. on the company;  I guess now my quest will switch to determining the origin of my barrel and upper...

Thanks again; I'll see about tapping into Rock River for some history.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
 I just picked up an AR that's a DPMS upper built on a PWA Commando lower serial # 358XX.  It's got everything stamped (forged receiver?), not raised and no date.  How you tell if it's a pre-ban lower?  It was sold that way.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard a company called Rocky Hill Arms took over.

For what its worth;
home1.gte.net/bblakley/ban/#PWA
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#9]
SGM, I think the cut off was in the 36,000 range. You might have a preban, but check with someone more knowledgeable first (I think I heard this from WILSON from this board).

As far as PWA, I got a commando that I put a Bushmaster upper on. I had an A2 Bushmaster before that would jam on South African ammo or S&B. It also wouldn't take thermolds. I switched it with a new A1 M4 upper from Bushy (thanks btdry) and it fits very tight and not 1 jam so far out of 500+ rounds with good mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
PWA cutoff was 35222. I have two and no problems.Definitely as good as the "ABC's" . From what I've heard,that's where the uppers came from.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the link and info, Osprey & all.

How can I determine manuf. of upper?  There must be a stamping or ID somewhere, I would think.  'Need some education.

Lower is a commando, serial 438XX
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top