Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2001 12:51:10 PM EDT
I am president of a small gun club in Ontario Canada.

We are building a new range ( as I have mentinoed) we recently had quite a bit of 5/16 armor plate donated.  We are going to use some of it for a range baffle for our 350 m range.  We were curious if we were going to need to use two plates or just one on a 45.

Tried 7.62x39  fmj from my SKS at 25m at 90 degrees
The bullet just disinegrated, barely even a mark on the plate.

6.5x55 fmj out of my M38....same effect.

Last week one of our members tried his .375 H&H Nosler Partition....NO PENETRATION!!  Sure there was a dent but it DID NOT GET THROUGH.

Today another guy went to work at it with his SAKO in .338 Lapua....

It was as if the plate was not even there!!!

There was not much of a dent....just a hole.  The steel was just punched out like a hole punch...JUST AMAZING!!

Gotta get me one of those..mind you I took a second shot with it....OUCH!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  They rock.  I want one too.  Unfortunately, the brass is like $3 a piece and not all that easy to find.  Still...someday, I WILL have one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Easy there big guy.  You'll get penetration from any number of calibers from 7mm Mag on up if the bullet construction is right.  Check and see what the guy with the .338 had loaded up; LockBase and Scenar Bullets are not made for expansion, if you get my drift.  The .338 is a stout round, but it's not magic by any stretch.  If you want to spend a lot of money every time you pull the trigger, AND you want something accurate, may I suggest  www.cheyennetactical.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The .338 Lapua Magnum is an excellent sniper cartridge, although the .408 Chey Tac has more payload and range, the 338LM is still supersonic way past 1000m and very accurate.

The Sako TRG-42 was recently selected to replace some older TAK-85 sniper rifles in the Finnish Defence Forces, in testing the best groups from 1000m with the Sako TRG-42 were around 7.8", what does that make, 0.6MOA

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the price per round?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top