Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 8:56:44 AM EDT
Does anyone have or know of a web page / resource that has current and historical reliability data?

I am looking for Weibull distribution data, MTTF (Mean time to Failure) data and general function / failure data.  If possible any study comparing the AK family to the AR family.  I would like to find  out what the data says.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The Mil-Spec (available at old.ar15.com) tells what the MINIMUM reliability requirements are for testing.  It does not indicate what the rifles actually do, especially in the field.

There are plenty of individual reliability tests.  Troy ran his for something like 9K rounds spaced out over a year (with no cleaning), The Danish Military ran one for 15K rounds w/o problems according to Keld (a soldier in their military).. There are many more individual stories, but no hard statistics.

FWIW The M16A1 was the most reliable rifle in the 1979 NATO ammunition trials.  I am currently trying to get information from the Ordanence Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds on this test.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Mil-Spec (available at old.ar15.com) tells what the MINIMUM reliability requirements are for testing.  It does not indicate what the rifles actually do, especially in the field.

There are plenty of individual reliability tests.  Troy ran his for something like 9K rounds spaced out over a year (with no cleaning), The Danish Military ran one for 15K rounds w/o problems according to Keld (a soldier in their military).. There are many more individual stories, but no hard statistics.

FWIW The M16A1 was the most reliable rifle in the 1979 NATO ammunition trials.  I am currently trying to get information from the Ordanence Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds on this test.

Forest,

If you find any hard data could you pass it or the source along to me.

Thanks,

QC
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course.  BTW I did find out some (if not all) of the 1979 Ammo Trials can be found on page 60 of "Small Arms of The World" (12th Edition).  I'm going to look for a copy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just as everyone in here will tell you, they are unreliable peice's of crap that aren't even worth the time or money.

And If you believe that, you also think an AK is a very accurate gun. So to me it's a lost cause.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
p.s. Forest I love you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just as everyone in here will tell you, they are unreliable peice's of crap that aren't even worth the time or money.

And If you believe that, you also think an AK is a very accurate gun. So to me it's a lost cause.

Take some of your extra energy and help us find data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top