Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Do you also use the same toilet paper as the SEALS?

Yes I do! My brown eye loves me for it, too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
    I don't really care what kind of toilet paper the seals are using, nor does it matter if they are using mini-14s. All I can attest to is my personal experience with one of them and several AR rifles which is that I never could hit a dam thing with the mini and I don't miss a hell of a lot with AR's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Has any major military force EVER adopted the Mini-14 for issue? Has the Mini-14 ever outperformed a real MILSPEC weapon? I wouldn't even take a select-fire AC-556 if it was offered to me for FREE!!

If a SEAL fires a Mini-14, finds out its a POS, and throws it away in a dumpster- is it still "genuine SEAL issue"?

I understand that SEALs work in water environments but that aside - why use a stainless steel version that will still overheat in combat?

A good point was made. There must be a hundred different types of "Navy SEAL issue" knives on the commercial market, watches, hats, t-shirts, web gear,etc,etc. Most being marketing gimmicks.

I am just a simple Army armorer - but I can not understand why anyone would use a Mini-14 for real combat situations.

When I owned a Mini-14 (a couple months), it would always overheat after two or three magazines of standard 55 grain FMJ ammo. At one point, the flash hider came off when firing. Somehow, Red Loctite came unglued along with the pin holding in the flash hider.  

[End of Rant]     Ruger
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I owned one my self for 15 years, bought it new for $289.00, and frankly that's about all they're worth,it was reliable, but accurate? no,I tried about 7-8 diffrent bullets, 4-5 diffrent powders, and gained nothing!It still shot patterns,not groups It is a 75yrd gun, a plinker, nothing more,it was'nt until I traded it for a AR (a bushmaster) that I found out how accurate a.223 can be! WOW! what an eyeopener,The mini-14 is just a plinker,and not much else,and at todays prices a AK is a better bargin and more accurate as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]

If a SEAL fires a Mini-14, finds out its a POS, and throws it away in a dumpster- is it still "genuine SEAL issue"?

Gee, this is such an intelligent and well-informed statement, where to begin? I believe the claim was that SEALS were using MODIFIED versions of the Mini 14 that have been rebarreled. Okay? Savvy? They weren't said to have been using the factory-issue version.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I owned one my self for 15 years, bought it new for $289.00, and frankly that's about all they're worth...

That hits the nail on the head! Want to know what a Minis worth? Just try selling it!
I have one that I've been trying to get what I paid for it for the last 7 years. Even throwing in some junk high caps hasn't worked. I paid near dealer cost for the thing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a pre-ban blued version I purchased around 1992. It shot about 8 minute groups with factory ammo. Hand loads brought it to about 5 minutes. A friend had one about the same but had a custom barrel put on and could shoot one minute groups. I also had a problem with the gas system always rusting up, as well as the rest of the gun was perpetually rusty, even in a temperature controlled safe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
So, what do you suggest if you live in California and can’t buy AK. I have one Bushmaster that I got just before the ban, but I can’t get another one. I want another toy. What do you suggest?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, I wonder. How many who have experience with a Mini-14 did NOT have the factory wood stock?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I am very happy with mine. I have the Blued version with the wood stock. I bought it for $298.00 from B&E guns in 1998. I should have bought 4 of them at that price.

PS..
A Ruger Ranch Rifle is not a Mini-14.
A Ruger Mini-30 is not a Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a paper plate and shoot at it at 100,200 and 300 yards,if you can hit it then thats all the accuracy you really need.
Rapid fire isnt needed?13 rounds a minute is considered supressive fire.
Better yet what are useing this weapon for?A shit hit the fan situation?
Well if so,hit and run is your only option cause as you can see in afghanistan JDAM'S is not very forgiving.
So i believe a bolt action rifle could be used,hit and run.
You aint gonna stare down a division of trained men with your AR-15 or whatever small arm's it's just not gonna happen.
Why do i say this?because this is the way you guy's come off,Oh a mini14 aint good enough or whatever,you act like these weapon's are for militia use.
The only way to fight the gungrabber's is through the system and legislation,you aint gonna fight it out and win on a battlefield,or against the FUZZ.Remember the law's say's what the law say's until this country change's or you help change it,your right's are gonna get tossed.
Im not talking about all of you guy's just some.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is that what it comes down to? When all your "facts" are dismissed, you say "disprove it". I never made the claim, so I don't have to disprove it. The one who makes the claim must prove it.

Gee LARRYG, I showed my source. Can you disprove it? Call ARS for references, they'll give them. With all of the furor over those who make fake claims involving SEAL teams, logic would dictate if the guy is lying he'd have been exposed by now. Guess what? It must have some truth to it because it's repeated over and over by various writers. I guess it's just all some conspiracy and everyone's lying and you're the only one who's clever enough to see through it. Call ARS and get some references my man and disprove it.

You did not quote a source and ARS did not make the claim.  A writer believes he saw one.  That is neither a claim by ARS nor a source.  Again, I don't have to disprove, I did not make the claim.  That's real convenient of you, telling me to take it up with ARS, posted your so called source, and tell me to disprove it.  And by the way, ARS did not make a claim, they just posted an article and nowhere did it say that ARS supplied them.  As was stated by JIH, you can "claim" anything you want but that doesn't make it true.  And this claim is not repeated over and over by various writers, just this one writer, one time.  There is no conspiracy, just some people who believe everything an author "claims".
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#13]

You did not quote a source and ARS did not make the claim. A writer believes he saw one. That is neither a claim by ARS nor a source. Again, I don't have to disprove, I did not make the claim. That's real convenient of you, telling me to take it up with ARS, posted your so called source, and tell me to disprove it. And by the way, ARS did not make a claim, they just posted an article and nowhere did it say that ARS supplied them. As was stated by JIH, you can "claim" anything you want but that doesn't make it true. And this claim is not repeated over and over by various writers, just this one writer, one time. There is no conspiracy, just some people who believe everything an author "claims".

Gee LARRYG, don't read much? Hint: there've been other articles written about ARS, not just the ones on that site. Call ARS, they can verify it for you. Another hint: I didn't make any claim, I repeated something. I guess your belligerance must mean that you are unable to disprove, huh?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hmm, I wonder. How many who have experience with a Mini-14 did NOT have the factory wood stock?

Good point. Most of the minis that shoot poorly that I have seen have loose wood stocks. A good marksmen can overcome a bad trigger (to a point), but poor bedding just messses things up period. It's normal to have a rifle bedded or change the stock to get more accuracy, so why should the mini be different?

There was an article in guns and weapons for law enforcement that tested some custom mini 14s/ranch rifles where most of the work was a chopped barrel and a trigger job. the current production mini with a synthetic stock and chopped barrel shot consistant 1 inch groups with a red dot sight. the author's with a refinnished wood stock (polymer coated) was a little less precise, but was still much better than most allow the minis

Don't get me wrong, I love my ar, but why does a gun have to be used by armed forces for it to be any good? Under those standards, most guns would be crap. For half the price of an AR, the mini ain't a bad gun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a Mini-14 that I liked it was very reliable. The only bad things I can say about the Mini is the lack of quality mags and when shooting from a supine position the bolt is
too heavy, causing the action to short stroke.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's my .02...  I have owned my SS Mini-14 since 1987.  It may not be the most accurate, but it is a lot of fun to shoot.  No matter what ammo or mags I have used, it has never failed me.  Ruger does recommend that you do NOT use reloads in it.  And, I still have the wood stock (I like the look), but someday I'll get the synthetic stock.  I do not regret buying mine.  I also have a pre-ban AR, and if I had to choose which rifle when the SHTF, I'll more than likely take the AR.  As I and others have said, the Mini-14 is fun and reliable, but if you want super accuracy, get something else.

AR15Fan, the Ruger Ranch Rifle is a Mini-14, they just call it the K-Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Show me a Ruger Ranch Rifle that has "Mini-14" marked anywhere on the receiver...

Additionally the Ranch Rifle has a different disassembly procedure, a different ejector system, not to mention the different receiver and rear sight.

The "K-" designation is for the Stainless models of the entire Ruger rifle lineup, including bolt actions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I've owned three Mini's; a 30 SS Ranch, a 14 blued Ranch, and a 14 blued Standard.  

Of all the rifles I've owned, none have been as reliable as the Mini's.  All they need to be reliable is a good (read: tested several times) magazine.  However, they were all hideously inaccurate; the best rifle giving about 3 MOA.  

This seems to be the prevailing opinion, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've owned three Mini's; a 30 SS Ranch, a 14 blued Ranch, and a 14 blued Standard.  

Of all the rifles I've owned, none have been as reliable as the Mini's.  All they need to be reliable is a good (read: tested several times) magazine.  However, they were all hideously inaccurate; the best rifle giving about 3 MOA.  

This seems to be the prevailing opinion, doesn't it?

I like to think of 'em as pretty AK's
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Show me a Ruger Ranch Rifle that has "Mini-14" marked anywhere on the receiver...

Additionally the Ranch Rifle has a different disassembly procedure, a different ejector system, not to mention the different receiver and rear sight.

The "K-" designation is for the Stainless models of the entire Ruger rifle lineup, including bolt actions.

Look here... www.ruger-firearms.com/rfcenterfire_auto.html

Edited to say that you are correct... K- means stainless.  However, click here.  www.ruger-firearms.com/rfpages/m145r.html.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dang ,,,, I must have the only Mini that will shoot worth a darn. Mine will shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inch groupd at 100yds all day long. the only thing Ive done is add a 4x Simmons to it. I bought it back inthe early to mid 80's and kept it in the squad car for most of its life. Just recently put the scope on for coyote hunting

No its not an AR but for its intended use it is a great little weapon

That's about what I get with mine, so you're not alone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Great gun if you are interested in pissing off the guy two stations down at the range. Accuracy is in question, however it is the brass throwing champ...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You did not quote a source and ARS did not make the claim. A writer believes he saw one. That is neither a claim by ARS nor a source. Again, I don't have to disprove, I did not make the claim. That's real convenient of you, telling me to take it up with ARS, posted your so called source, and tell me to disprove it. And by the way, ARS did not make a claim, they just posted an article and nowhere did it say that ARS supplied them. As was stated by JIH, you can "claim" anything you want but that doesn't make it true. And this claim is not repeated over and over by various writers, just this one writer, one time. There is no conspiracy, just some people who believe everything an author "claims".

Gee LARRYG, don't read much? Hint: there've been other articles written about ARS, not just the ones on that site. Call ARS, they can verify it for you. Another hint: I didn't make any claim, I repeated something. I guess your belligerance must mean that you are unable to disprove, huh?

Oh, I can read.  ARS does not make such a claim, the article merely states that the author "believes" he "saw" one.  My belligerence is based on the fact that you have proved nothing, you are defending the alleged claim and admit you have no personal knowledge, and and yet you resort to insults to defend your position based on what you read.  You want to make this personal with the insults, so can I.  You say you are just repeating something you read.  Well, the anti's just repeat what they read.  It's up to them to prove their crap, not up to us to disprove it.  Again, since you can't seem to comprehend, I don't have to disprove it as I am neither making the claim nor am I defending the claim.  Read that again, I don't have to disprove it, you have to prove it since you are defending it.  I haven't tried to disprove it, since I am not making the claim.  One more time, I don't have to disprove it since I know it is BS.  Can you comprehend that now?

I like Ruger, I like the Mini that I own, and I have several Ruger P series autos (and Sigs too), but the Mini is not up to military standards.  I'll take my AR's over the Mini, but the Mini is better than nothing and I would rather have it than an AK.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Great gun if you are interested in pissing off the guy two stations down at the range. Accuracy is in question, however it is the brass throwing champ...

You sure got that right!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine is throwing about 15 feet dead right.  I am not a great neighbor....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Oh, I can read. ARS does not make such a claim, the article merely states that the author "believes" he "saw" one. My belligerence is based on the fact that you have proved nothing, you are defending the alleged claim and admit you have no personal knowledge, and and yet you resort to insults to defend your position based on what you read. You want to make this personal with the insults, so can I. You say you are just repeating something you read. Well, the anti's just repeat what they read. It's up to them to prove their crap, not up to us to disprove it. Again, since you can't seem to comprehend, I don't have to disprove it as I am neither making the claim nor am I defending the claim. Read that again, I don't have to disprove it, you have to prove it since you are defending it. I haven't tried to disprove it, since I am not making the claim. One more time, I don't have to disprove it since I know it is BS. Can you comprehend that now?

So you're saying that you can't disprove, correct?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nah.  The mini may bother the guy two stations down.... an HK91 will put a friggin bruise on the guy ten stations down.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Good gun?  No, not for me.  If I pay several hundred dollars for a rifle, and it won't shoot straighter than an SKS, its luster tarnishes in my eyes.

-------
"Only accurate rifles are interesting."
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I payed a good gunsmith in my area plenty to accurize mine, cut the barrel to 16" add new sight/muzzlebrake and a trigger and it still was a $420 boat anchor.  I traded for a NIB Beretta 92fs and never looked back.  I never reccomend a mini to anyone!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top