Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 7:13:30 PM EDT
Being left handed I am having a hell of a time trying to pick out a good bolt gun.  I wanted a Steyr ProHunter but the bastards do not make a lefty version. It seems my options are a Browning Abolt Stainless Stalker, or a Remingtom 700 VS.  I would really prefer a 30-06 but the 700 VS only comes in a .308 and I would like to use it for hunting as well as target shooting. Any input or if I missed something I should consider let me know.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Find out if there is a "lefty" version of the gun you want? Call the manufacturer and ask em'.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done that, Steyr makes no lety guns at all, remington makes a full line of the 700 series, browning has a limited selection of lefty guns as well. I am asking for opinions from other poor bastards like myself who dont have the luxury of being able to just go out and buy that left handed .300 WSM that browning said "is not on the drawing board, and best case senario would be 2003 but dont hold your breath"  Real nice being a lefty!!

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What is your price range? H-S PRecision has what you are looking for. Also contact one of the custom gun shops if they can probably build you a plain jane for about a grand.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
See, it is hard for me to justify getting a custom gun and ideally I would like to be around $800 which the .308 remington 700 VS is right on the money.  But I really would need to consider a little more money for a custom gun. But if a .300 WSM could be made by someone that does custom work, hell I probably would step up and spend the money knowing I would never get rid of the gun anyway.

Man I just looked at the H S Precision site, he has some awesome setups on there, but his cheapest rig is $2K
Dammit!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
HighlandMac,

Have you considered the Remington Model 700 BDL Left-Hand?  I believe it is available in .30-06.

Cut and paste this web address:

www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700BDLlh.HTM

Hope this helps.

Live Free

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If your looking for a gun that is lefty friendly ,try a browing BLR lever action .I'm left handed and have one in 7mm mag. I love the gun ,just an opion.come in many calibers. including 30-06,7mm mag,300 win mag ,.270 etc...
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you wed to the heavy barrel idea for some reason? Left-handed .30-06s are very common.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Being left handed I try to keep up with what's available. Do you want a heavy barrel for hunting? As far as hunting rifles go you have your choice of long and magnum actions in a lot of common calibers. Remington, Browning, Winchester, Ruger, Tikka, Savage. If you want a short action the choices get slimmer. Tikka, Remington, Maybe Sako. And of course Savage. If what you desire is a 30-06 hunting rifle you have as many choices as a righty. You can even get one with laminated stock and in S.S.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Own a left hand Browning A Bolt Stalker in Stainless with BOSS in 30.06. I got it when they first came out and got my first wild pig with it. I picked the Stainless one since I use it for hunting and it will be exposed to the elements. Very happy with my purchase and will buy one if I have to do it all over again. I also have left hand Savage Tactical in 308 Win. I will not pick this one for hunting if you will have to walk a lot since it too heavy to log around w/ the heavy barrel. Both rifle are accurate and will shoot MOA or better all day with the right ammo and if you do your part.

Hope this helps. I wish Rem. will make the PSS in left:(.

ASR
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I've bought 2 left-handed Tikka's in the last 3 months. Both were $550 out the door. One in .308 and the other in 300win mag.
I highly recommend Tikka's. The only model Tikka makes in LH is the Whitetail Hunter, which is a hunting weight, (about 7 1/2 pounds) no frills gun. Varmit weight and deluxe models are not available in LH. Except for slightly better wood and an oil finish, along with a gloss finish on the metal, there is no difference.
The LH Tikka can be had in 30-06.
Savage also makes a variety of LH guns. If you want something fancier, I think Sauer and Sohn make a LH 30-06.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Winchester makes a lefty Model 70 now. I have one in stainless in 30-06.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Being a lefty I know where you are coming from, the browning I looked into myself in a .375H&H, that has got to be the worse cal. for a lefty to find. In your case my I STRONGLY suggest a Weatherby and why not a .300whby mag.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#13]
My name is Makarov and I too am a Lefty. I guess it started in pre-school. Me and some of the other kids were fooling around with crayons and fingerpaint but it wasn't long before I was into the harder stuff, #2pencils and bics. It all seemed like a lot of fun at first but now  it has just become a living nightmare. I think my wife knows but chooses to live in denial.

Anyway, I've developed a "style" for shooting Enfields. After I fire I cant the rifle in my right hand about 120degrees, at the same time I grasp the bolt handle with my left (trigger) hand and cycle the action ejecting the spent case down and to the left. Repeat, DOWN AND TO THE LEFT. Then I use the momentum of closing the bolt to rotate the rifle back into the firing position. It is defiantly easier with a SMLE with it's cock on closing system.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Being a lefty, I know how difficult and frustrating it can be. I own 2 Browning A-Bolt II with BOSS in 270 and 7mm. Both consistantly group a perfect circle, .300 or better at 100 yards and thats using the recommended factory BOSS settings with factory ammo. It will get better once It's "Tweaked". I just recently purchased a Savage Model 10 FLP Tactical in 7mm-08. I had some reservations but after topping with a Tasco 6-20x40 Mildot and taking it to the range, I was totally shocked! I got perfect groups of .475 consistantly! Yup, the trigger sucks but you can put a Sharp Shooter trigger on it (Brownells #436-100-110) and you'll have a fine rifle that will be hard to beat at any price. The stock is a little flimsy but is pillar bedded and I don't give a rats ass what anyone says, the sucker works. My total outlay was:
$375.00 (rifle)
$ 80.00 (scope)
$ 30.00 (bases/rings)
$ 86.00 trigger
TOTAL: $571.00 complete
Check out the Savage.... Hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Remington 700 VS-LH in .308 and I love it. But it is very heavy (around 13 pounds with scope and bipod) so it is prohibitively heavy for hunting I think. I use it for target shooting and shooting prarie dogs from about 600-800 yards. But is an excellent rifle... on par (above par I think personally) with the Remington PSS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Even though the Remington 700 VS is heavy, I am still tempted to hook up on one of those rather than pretty much anything eles I have seen. I would love to get a Prohunter in lefty, but Steyr does not make any lefty guns now, and the new .300 WSM is at least 2-3 yrs away if they even decide to make it. Hopefully Armalite will make a .300 WSM AR-10 and I am in!! I have toted my Bushmaster A2 with a bipod and scope into the woods many a time this year and it was no problem, so I think the 700 VS should be fine as well. I am lucky enought where we hunt it isnt too far to the tree stands so I am not as concerned about weight. I appreciate everyones input and I beleive the Remington 700 VS will be the way to go for me!!

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Anyway, I've developed a "style" for shooting Enfields. After I fire I cant the rifle in my right hand about 120degrees, at the same time I grasp the bolt handle with my left (trigger) hand and cycle the action ejecting the spent case down and to the left. Repeat, DOWN AND TO THE LEFT. Then I use the momentum of closing the bolt to rotate the rifle back into the firing position. It is defiantly easier with a SMLE with it's cock on closing system.  

The Enfield has got to be the easiest bolt-action to use lefty. I never have a problem coming over the top of my No4, or No5.

That's probably the main reason I love Enfields so much.

Cheers,
Chris

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top