Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2001 2:03:40 PM EDT
Has anybody checked out the various brass catchers available for the AR15. I made one but it wore out after 1 year of hard use so I'd like to buy one that will work with my AR15 flattop with riser mount and scope. If possible, I would also like to use it on an AR15 with carry handle.

The cheaper the better, but reliability and durability on a flattop are most important, followed by ability to use on a standard AR15 (with carry handle).
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:13:37 PM EDT
I've used both the bag type and the plastic "bucket" type. The bag was good for flat tops and regular carry handles, while the bucket would only work on the carry handle guns.

IMO, the bucket style works the best. It snaps into place and seals tightly. You can fill it nearly full before the ejection port becomes obstructed. The bag style starts to obstruct the port after only about 20 rounds due to its increasing weight and subsequent sag.

Neither was cheap. In fact, I would consider either of them to be a complete rip-off. However, it's still probably better than chasing brass all over the range.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:27:19 PM EDT
I don't mind chasing brass on the range so much, as trying to find the brass in the alphafa after shooting ground squirrels. You lose a lot of time searching, and I'd still probably lose 50 percent or more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:36:38 PM EDT
iu machined one to go on the right rail of my RIS. it beats recovering only 75% brass. i dont like the way the gun looks with it though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:58:36 PM EDT
BMG I know what you mean. I'm also thinking about a brass catcher. Can't make up my mind though on which kind I want.
Top Top