Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 6:19:56 AM EDT
I had my uncle make one for me.  It's about 10" in diameter and hangs on a hinge so it can swing.  It is 1 1/4" AR500 steel.  

Will it hold up?  Also how about shooting 45 ACP 230LRN at it from 25 yards?

One other thing, my grandfather(a WWII vet) insists that a 30-06 AP round will penetrate it at 100 yards.  My uncle says no way, I'm on the fence as I shot an 06' hunting round through 1/2" mild steel pretty easy.  And these little 55gr FMJ rounds from my BM rip through 3/8" pretty easy too.  Not that I know anything about this stuff, just curious.  Besides my uncle is willing to bet some cash on his stance.

Watcha think?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Pistols at steel should be no closer than 25 feet.
Steel and rifles should back off to 200 yds before cratering begins to subside abit
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a "beast" rifle gong made of limo armor that is 3/8" of an inch thick and is fine with .223, .308, and .30-06 at 100 yards. The rifle rounds mearly put little pimples in the front. After a nice long day of ringing it there is a slight bow to it so I turn it around and shoot it from the back on the next trip to the range.

An inch and a half piece of aircraft carrier was proof against 300 Win Mag with AP rounds - but just barely. The rounds made it to within 3/8" of coming though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul where did you get the armor?
I`ve been trying to build targets and so far I`ll need a 1 ton truck to carry it all to the range if I go with what I have planned.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
What's AR500 steel?

.30-06 AP (M2 AP) won't penetrate 1/4" of homogenous armor plate at that range.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If this is Anti abrasion steel it will not hold up to rifle hits. It should hold up fine with the handgun hits. Give it a try with the 223 if it craters like a meteor on the moon, grind it flat and then weld the damaged part with low hydrogen rod and then grind the weld smooth. But if it craters do not continue to shoot it until repaired. I have seen several people hit with ricochets from cratered plates.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
AR500 is the steel dump trailers are made of. A lot of bullet traps are made of this also. Check out this site. www.handgunsports.com/t_s_Steel_Plates.htmAccording to them,it will accept .223 rounds, but the metal will chip. Be careful.
coyote3
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Paul where did you get the armor?
I`ve been trying to build targets and so far I`ll need a 1 ton truck to carry it all to the range if I go with what I have planned.

www.beast-enterprises.com/gong.html

The inch and a half thick 10 inch round piece aircraft carrier I had was better than 40 pounds. It was a piece cut for a pipe in the reactor compartment's upper level.

The "Beast" is about 10 pounds. The aluminum stand got shot to pieces as did the chains that use to hold it. When in Washington I would sling it between two trees and have at it from a distance working my way up to about 75 yards with the AR. I'd then start on it with the pistol until I got to about 100 feet. With the pistol you have to be sure you're not square with the plate as I've seen slugs rebound.

The AR bullets just vaporize into tiny little pieces of gray lead powder.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
 5.56 will splatter like hell on it and may not penatrate, stay at least 35 yds away or you will get backsplash.  .45acp 230 jacketed ball will splatter as well, lead bullets are not as bad, try not and be closer than 50 feet.  I shot a few bowling pin matches at a place that used ar-500 1/4 inch for the tables.  Rifle would punch them and pistol back splashed at 50 feet.  Wear shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
 I used a 14 inch circle of 4140 1 inch thick to make a ringer.
 It was heated to dull red and then allowed to air cool.
 This thing has withstood repeated hits from .300 Win Mag rounds with no penetration through.
 It has withstood M2 AP also. The closest we came to piercing it was with a 7 Mag.
 The ringer has been in service for right at 3 years now and we are just now thinking about replacing it. This thing laughs at .223 rounds!
 The only real drawback comes if you have to move something like that, it weighs a friggin ton!

Chuck

Edited to add that this dude is revetted, and we usually shoot at it from 350 yards.
 You do not want to be up close and personal when you hit it with a .300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top