Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 3:05:59 PM EDT
I was at a local gun store today and saw a fullsize Llama 19911 pistol that was only $260....new!!  Now I have read some negative things about some Llamas but not any one type of firearm in particular.  A friend of mine had a fullsized Llama 1911 and it worked great....no FTF or ejection problems.  But that's just one gun.

So what do you all think?  Who actually owns one and how does it do for you?  The one I handled fit really nice in my hands,finish was good, and frame was tight.  Even if I need to put a couple of hundred dollars into it would it be worth it??

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have fired a Llama 1911 .45 clone. It wasn't bad, my only complaint is that the trigger sucked bigtime. No jams in my limited firing experience with it. Assuming that all 1911's can interchange parts, a good trigger kit would've turned that Llama into a decent pistol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of those 1911 clones back in 1986, and never had any problems with it. It didn't have any work done to it, and yes the trigger sucked, but it was over all a pretty good pistol. I put a lot of rounds through it, rarely cleaned it, and it never let me down. I kept it until 1992, when i sold it to buy a 70 series Colt. I wouldn't pass it up, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an OLD Llama 1911 (full size) that was giving to me by a missionary friend of my grandfather. It had been used in Brazil and had NEVER been cleaned. EVER. After cleaning the 1/4 inch of carbon and crud buildup out of it, I took it to the range and loaded it up with Federal 230gr Hydras.  BANG BANG BANG. No problems, no complaints. It's obvious that the Llama is not a Kimber or a Para Ordnance, but if you can get  a new one for only $260, I say go get it and use it as a plinker... if it turns out to be reliable, then consider it for a defensive weapon. If not, give it to a newbie and go get a Kimber Custom. :)

Just my .02,
---Chris
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  Anyon else??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Several years ago had a full size Llama. Every time I pulled the trigger it would double then jam. Took it a local gunsmith to check out. He said he wouldn't touch a Llama. Bought it new so I took it back and got my money back. I didn't learn my lesson and bought an Officer's size Llama about 3 years ago. Jam-a-matic. Sold at a loss. Knew 2 other peaple with Llamas. One POS, one decent pistol. 3 out of 4 bad isn't a very good record. I won't have another one. Also, unless Llamas have changed since I had mine, they are NOT 1911 clones except in general overal appearance and 1911 parts will NOT fit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I understand it, the older ones with the integral vent rib are POS and not 100% spec as far as replacement parts go. As far as the later model ones go, You pay $260 and you get a $260 gun. The one I had seemed to work fine and was fairly accurate. Lifetime guarantee though!

Hey if its all you can afford right now I guess it beats no gun at all, but at $260 you are 1/2 way home on a used good gun. Save your money.

Oh and PS, Any money you invest in it will be thrown away on resale. Its always going to be a $260 cheapie.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of there pre ban 45's, I only bought because it holds 13rds. I can't say a bad thing about it. It never jams and is as accurate as my fixed sight colt. One thing though, I only use FMJ or hard cast round nose bullets. I never saw the need for hollow points in a 45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top