Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 1:35:34 PM EDT
My local shop had a fair Inland M1 carbine for $550.  Looked to beat up for me.  Is this a good brand?  What are some others?

Also, there was a nice Century Garand for $499 on sale.  I've heard numerous bad things about Century. How are there Garands?  Who made the Military ones?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, save your $499, join a CMP affiliated club, if you're not a veteran do a CMP shoot, and then send the CMP the $519 for a REAL Garand.

Real Garands were made by Springfield, Winchester, HRA (Harrington & Richardson Arms), and IHC (International Harvester Co.)
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard much good about Century. Take a look at:
www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

I looked at one at a local sporting goods store, and asked if it was guaranteed to be safe to shoot. The clerk said no guarantee, and I would have to sign a release to that effect.

Stick with USGI for both Carbines and Garands. I paid $350 for my Carbine, Springfield receiver and all G.I. parts. Lots of decent Garand shooters out there in the $500-700 range. I paid $525 for mine, a rebuild originally from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, or whatever they are calling it these day. You should be able to find a good Garand at a good price at any large gun show. You got to work harder for a good carbine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
One good Carbine, is the one being offered by the Isralies. I got mine for $339 with walnut stock. It is all GI (except the receiver, which is new) and the bbl has a VERY tight chamber. Cheap winchester 30 Carbine ammo would only chamber about 90% of the time. Gauged the ammo and yes, the ammo was on the largest end of the spec, I guess so old worn out Carbines will shoot? Beats me. I've been shooting only Sellier & Beloit 30 Carbine in it with NO failures to feed. Nice gun for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Good carbines, off the top of my head:
Standard Products, Inland, IBM, Saginaw, Rockola, Winchester, Underwood.  I am sure there are at least a couple others.

Bad carbines (civilian, poor quality):  Universal, Plainfield, Iver Johnson.

Universals are usually junk although sometimes someone posts they have good luck with theirs.  They don't even have parts interchangeability with GI.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy, i own an IAI and it is one fine carbine. I too bought into the notion that it was somehow manufactured by Israel but anyway, it's a keeper. Thanks for the heads up on it not being Israeli, can you tell me anthing else about IAI?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a CMP M1 Garand. It's the best money I've ever spent.
Every M1 we get, is one that's saved from the federal Govt. cutting torch.

That's grease, not rust on my CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's another source for M1s.  Prices a bit steep but rifles look to be in great shape.

http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/carbines.html

and

http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/garand.html
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Springfeild Armory Just reintroduced the M1-garand to their line. $819.00 retail pricing

-Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Springfeild Armory Just reintroduced the M1-garand to their line. $819.00 retail pricing

-Chuck

Springfield Inc. makes some nice stuff, however that's about twice the price for a REAL US Govt. Issue M1 Garand, made with a fordged receiver, and all Military parts.
www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Chuck,

Is there a web site that mentions the SA M1?  I didn't see it on SA's site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top