Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 5:16:07 PM EDT
I've just bought an AR-10 Carbine and want to know the opinions for the best red-dot for the money. I have a line on a used Aimpoint 5000 for $175, is this a good price and is this a good sight? Thank you for your help in advance.
On another topic, I've spent a little time recently looking over this site and am glad there are a group of (mostly) right thinking, solid types out there. In short I'm proud to be associated with you all.

Scot and scotch
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
check out the leupold/gilmore. sorry no web address.
willy
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Any AIMPoint is worth the bucks, IMO... Just Got an M2 and it ROCKS! Good luck!
Pit
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude just buy a cheap BSA to play with untill you can see if it's really what you want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint is the way to go.  C-More is what you want to steer well clear from.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone seen the new Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T?  It sounds like one hell of a device but at an MSRP of $1200, is it worth it?
www.leupold.com/pi_cqt.html

Oh, who am I kidding?  I want one!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an Adco Mirage several years ago.  Simple.  Functional.  Inexpensive.  Uses standard 2032 batteries.  It has Always Worked.  Continuously variable rheostat for dot intensity.  My only gripe is the silly amount of money they want to add a magnifying lens to turn it into a fixed 2x scope.  Oh, and it projects a tiny amount of red glimmer forward through the lens.  For my purposes, it works just fine.

But for an AR10, you might want something with the option of a bit of magnification - say something in a 1-4x or 1.5-6x scope with an illuminated dot at the intersection of the crosshairs.  Burris makes something like that, as I'm sure several other makers must.  Gives you the option of longer shots if you want, plus rapid target acquisition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
check this one out :) http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/5855-01-299-777.asp

definatly the way to go I think.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]
no question abut it.has to be a trijicon reflex,it uses fiber optics so you dont have to worry about your batterys dying at the wrong time
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
check out the leupold/gilmore. sorry no web address.
willy

I believe CDNN had them for about $150.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no question abut it.has to be a trijicon reflex,it uses fiber optics so you dont have to worry about your batterys dying at the wrong time

Just don't ever try to shoot from shade into bright light...LOL. Seriously, the Trijicon or the Aimpoints are the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Trijicon has some that don't need batteries.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ultra-Dot... You'll probably be happier with a Reflex/ Halo or Acog than a Dot scope. I would suggest borrowing a Dot and trying it before buying....
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
My vote for best red dot/money goes to the new Aimpoints hands down.  The increased battery life makes it a no brainer imho.  If you don't get one now and get something else, my bet is that you'll end up spending more money because you'll eventually purchase an Aimpoint too.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Have an Aimpoint M2 on my 24" Bushy upper/SP1 lower combo and it works great!
coyote3
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Wiggy, you've got some built-in "reach" with that rifle. It would be a shame not to realize that potential.

I don't know that any red-dot is a good match for even a short-barrel .308. It's like putting a snow plow on a Porsche--iIMHO. hisYou may want to investigate one cammed for .308 instead of .223.

Also, one of the guys on this board was selling similar IOR Valdada scopes a while back. They looked pretty good.

Some people I know have bought red-dots or heads-up-display sights and end up selling them because they don't "feel" right. You may also want to--as others in this post have suggested--borrow a red dot and try it out.

Just some thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that would depend on what you want to use the red dot for.  I have an ADCO red dot for bulleye and I have a Trijicon for my AR.  I don't have the ACOG, but rather the Trijicon aimpoint scope and it works well.  The best part is I don't need batteries, so I think you need to address what the intended use will be before you purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top