Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 9:15:41 PM EDT
Is the pre-ban mag a standalone issue? or is it only post-ban mags in post ban lowers? (pre-ban mags in pre-ban lowers only)

The reason I ask is because I have a post Bushy 20" but tonight a friend offered to sell me some of his now deceased father's gear. He had 6 40 rounders, but I wasn't sure of the legality in a post-ban gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Pre-ban mags are legal in post ban guns.

If they are not USGI, Thermolds, or maybe orlites I would be very leary of the 40 rounders.

I have found I like 20 rounders the best at the range.  And the 20 are best for high power shooting as well.  30s are nice to for general blasting and fun.

If they are USA brand, run.  Run hard and fast and don't look back.  They very VERY rarely work as advertised.  I stick it out and go for 20s or 30s instead. (USGI)
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
thx Matt

They were not marked in any way. Had a shiny (scratched) black finish on what looked to be steel. No markings on the bottom plate to speak of. Didn't feel like USGI.

I would only load them up to 20 anyway because I have had prev. exp. with 40 rounders in the AK47. Springs get naaaasty after 25+.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thx Matt

They were not marked in any way. Had a shiny (scratched) black finish on what looked to be steel. No markings on the bottom plate to speak of. Didn't feel like USGI.

I would only load them up to 20 anyway because I have had prev. exp. with 40 rounders in the AK47. Springs get naaaasty after 25+.

Hmmm, my 30 rounders load up full nice.  I only suggested USGI or Thermolds because I know they won't jam.  My Mini-14 USA brand mags were very unreliable.  Most ARs seem to jam with low quality mags, just be carefull.

Would he agree to a trial fit with him present to make sure they function in your rifle before you lay down the cash?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
these were 40s.. had the AK style curve.

You read my mind. I am taking them out to the range in the morning to give them a go but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be picked up for a BATF infraction since it is a public state range.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
these were 40s.. had the AK style curve.

You read my mind. I am taking them out to the range in the morning to give them a go but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be picked up for a BATF infraction since it is a public state range.

Good luck with it, and have fun!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Mike --

A bit of Ohio trivia which I hope you've not learned the hard way at the State range this morning:  It's illegal to load more than 31 cartridges in any firearm in Ohio.  Doing so makes the firearm into a machinegun under Ohio law.  (Of course if you have a registered machinegun, load away.)

No restriction on the size of the magazine, just don't put more than 30 rounds in it if there's one in the chamber.

This is about the only gun law known by many policemen, so I suspect it's on an exam they have to take.

Hope you guys with the belt fed M1919 Browning semiautomatics pay attention too.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top