Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 4:47:11 PM EDT
Was shooting a new upper receiver this weekend and noticed something I had never seen before. The bullets were striking the target on their side. I didnt notice till I had already shot about 20 rds. I examined barrel and bore but dont see any problem. It is an 11.5 inch barrel with a 5.5 inch flash hider. I had another upper with me and it shot fine. Anyone have an idea what would cause this. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I recently purchased the same barrel configuration as you have.  At 50 yards, I could keep all the shots on the paper, at 100, I could not even hit the paper.

I would also like to hear from other people with this configuration and hear about their experiences.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Recently purchased  BM 11.5" w/A2 FS, nary a problem with PMP 55gr. stuff. 1/9 twist by the way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called key holing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes Lotman is right. keyholes are caused by the wrong bullet size for the barrel twist, a worn out barrel, shitty ammo, or some combination of the above.  Also, bullets will keyhole at great distances when they destabilize.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
LAMTE
Not enough info to figure it out.  What twist is the bbl?  What kind of ammo were you using?

If the bullet is too heavy and the twist too slow, it could tumble.  If the bullet is too light and the twist too fast, the bullet could break apart which could cause tumbling... a variety of things could cause keyholing.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it, I was using 55 grain, with a 1/7 twist barrel, I dont think that would do it. Also I was only shooting at 25 yds. It was Wolf ammo which I have shot thru other barrels with no problems. Must be the barrel. Picked it up at a local show for a good price, now I know why.  Anyone have an 11.5 inch heavy barrel they are looking to sell. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The CAR-15 barrels sold until very recently were 1 in 12 twist. 55 gr bullets should stabilize OK. Maybe it has an oversize bore. Does it keyhole with Federal 55gr?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top